Likes Likes:  6
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Volunteer Drosophyllum sprout in the bog

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Fascinating...these guys are definitely tougher than most would suggest. I wonder what it is that's letting the drylander survive these "terrible" conditions...
    I think the jury will be out whether they can survive these conditions all the way through winter, with January usually being the coldest month, so we will see how they look come spring as I have two potted adults outside also.

I wonder if mine, being 4th generation from seed starting with my original plant 4 or 5 years ago, may be adapting to colder winters? Is this possible in such a short period of time? Or maybe they are all just more cold tolerant than anybody thought and nobody has really tested the limits in cultivation, at least I have not run across any literature about it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    For curiosity's sake, does anyone nerdier than I happen to know a ballpark for Drosophyllum's lowest average temp in situ?
    I have read that higher elevation Drosophyllum in situ can experience lows in the high teens at times with warming to above freezing during the day. In my conditions this winter so far, it has always warmed up to above freezing during the day and overnight is the only time it has been below freezing. Historically, we donít usually see 24/7 freezing temps until January and some years we donít at all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next day after temps warmed up and snow melted off.

[IMG]After snow melt next day by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty close to pristine to me.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it still alive?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, she still lives! I will have to snap a pic to post soon, if this rain ever stops long enough that is.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's so dang cool! I'm so curious what the root system looks like... How wet would you say it is staying?
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well considering its Oregon where it rains nonstop for 9 months out of the year... We did set a new record, or come very close for winter rainfall this year, and I believe we're way ahead on March rainfall as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    That's so dang cool! I'm so curious what the root system looks like... How wet would you say it is staying?
    WET. The bog soil is a peat/perlite mix, heavy on the peat, so stays pretty wet this time of year. We have had record high rain fall and the bog is completely exposed to the elements. Although it nears flooding at times with heavy rain, it does drain fairly quickly between rain storms but the soil remains constantly just short of sloppy wet with all the rain we have been getting the last couple months.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    March 2016 bog Droso update:

[IMG]Bog Drosophyllum update March 2016 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Bog Drosophyllum - March 2016 update by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have not had a chance to look closely at it for quite some time until taking the pics today between rain showers. As you can see, during freezing periods over winter the crown lifted up out of the soil exposing some roots which are obvious in the second pic. I don't know what effect this will have as the weather warms and we get more sunshine, but suspect before that with warming temps it will likely succumb to root rot from below the surface (if that process has not already started). However, I thought that would happen with the rains last fall or that it would succumb to freezing temps over winter but that did not happen, so ya never know. Tough little plant for sure.

For those who may be wondering, it has been very hard for me not to try and rescue this little guy, but for informational purposes I have left it alone to gain more knowledge about my favorite "sundew" (or for HC, sundew-looking plant)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a second growth point just below the main one. The plant seems a bit too small to be branching from normal growth, so I wonder how that happened.

I also wonder if it's the soil settling/compacting from the rain, rather than the plant being lifted by freezing weather.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast