Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Volunteer Drosophyllum sprout in the bog

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Volunteer Drosophyllum sprout in the bog

I was watering the bog today and look what I found. If I am not mistaken, this is a Drosophyllum sprout! I swear this is not a purposeful sowing, must have been a seed that stuck to my hand when I was collecting droso seed a while back from a droso pot that is located close to the bog. The big question is can I leave it there to see how long it lives, you know...educational purposes , or will I eventually cave to the urge to pull it out and pot it up properly?

The seedling is about in the center of the photo

[IMG]Center of photo, Drosophyllum sprout in the bog by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Closeup

[IMG]Volunteer Drosophyllum sprout in the bog by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So cool! I'd love to follow along and see how it does. Question is, can you resist the urge to modify your watering habits on the bog trying to conform to what you think that plant would want? =)
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly am not aware of any other carnivorous plants that exhibit outward circinate vernation. Now the question is, will it survive there?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    So cool! I'd love to follow along and see how it does. Question is, can you resist the urge to modify your watering habits on the bog trying to conform to what you think that plant would want? =)
    No, I am not going to modify my watering habits and sacrifice the bulk of the plants for the Droso, haha. The top of the soil gets pretty dry between waterings, which is about every three days or so since this record-breaking heat wave started, which has been going on since June. I suspect as the plant matures it will start to fail as the soil a couple inches down or so stays very moist all the time and adult Droso roots are adapted to much drier conditions and their crowns are very susceptible to root rot. I am curious to see how long that takes. The bog is just a hole with peat/perlite on top of pea gravel, no fancy watering system, so when I water I flood the bog to the point water runs over the top at the low end. These photos were taken during one of these watering sessions.

If space was not at capacity to overwinter the droso pots I have, I may be more inclined to transplant this baby into more suitable conditions…but still hard to resist, ha.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    I certainly am not aware of any other carnivorous plants that exhibit outward circinate vernation. Now the question is, will it survive there?
    To me Drosos are just plain weird in their habits in general compared to most CPs, haha. No, it will most likely not survive the rest of the season there, but it will be interesting to see how long it will. Any new knowledge I can gain from this will be helpful in my general understanding of this species…I just need to check my mothering instincts at the door to further that knowledge. Everyone who knows me knows how much I love the babies of all CPs, which is probably why my sarr collection has gotten so out of control

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    As a side note, Byblis and Triphyophyllum also display outward circinate vernation.
    Byblis liniflora

I've tried starting Drosophyllum seeds on several different occasions from multiple sources, I'm still waiting for a success some day.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty cool. It must be nice having enough Drosophyllum to be able to carry out this experiment.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    As a side note, Byblis and Triphyophyllum also display outward circinate vernation.

I've tried starting Drosophyllum seeds on several different occasions from multiple sources, I'm still waiting for a success some day.
    Nice Byblis!

If it helps, this is how I used to germinate Drosophyllum seed with good success (scroll down the page a few posts): http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ow-Drosphyllum

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    That's pretty cool. It must be nice having enough Drosophyllum to be able to carry out this experiment.
    Not that many really, now down to two 12” terra cotta pots that take up a lot of room on the garage window shelf over winter. They grow outside during the growing season. I stopped propagating them from seed because of winter space issues and it was getting too hard to find local homes for the babies. I do get a lot of seed from them though and those are a lot easier to unload.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. I am back from my travels and was surprised to see that the Drosophyllum seedling that popped up in the bog over a month ago is still alive and well. With the first frost just around the corner, it will be interesting to see how it does as winter approaches. I will update again next month.

[IMG]Bog Drosophyllum 9-20-2015 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Photo of when it first germinated at the beginning of August:

[IMG]Volunteer Drosophyllum sprout in the bog, 8-2015 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast