User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I feed my Drosera regia? Put it outside?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm just going to throw my Regia outside in my drosera water treys. I've read that they dont like standing in water but eh. Sounds like they will do fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My 2 cents : Have had mine for about 2 years now.
    . Had to move it from plastic pot to something cooler (Glazed terracotta) as it was suffering during summer months (Winter is always the best months for the majority of my drosera )
    . I also water my Regia with refrigerated RO water during summer to keep it cooler. (Mines seems to like a wetter substrate, probably because its always hot here when the sun shines )
    . I have yet to use some fertilizer on them but will be trying some soon on root cuttings I have. (Feed my plants bloodworms or beta fish pellets from time to time)
    . What I have found, in my environment that my Regia grow better outside than indoors under my t8 lights, yet various other drosera, Neps and cephalotus grow fine under my t8's..
    . I have had some real problems growing this plant but the above mentioned really helped a lot.

Happy growing!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks bro!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great info I'm going to experiment on my root cutting plantlets NOW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    D. regia can survive hot temps and seem to like it. There have been a few heat waves in the bay area the last few months. Today is supposed to hit 102F. These plants range from 4-6 months old and have always been outside plants. The oldest plants measure at 7''. They were sown, forgotten, and now happily growing. I believe the nightly temperature drop allows them to withstand the sorchers we are experiencing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my god hallelujah Bay Area grower!!!! Exactly what I need. Alright I am putting mine outside! Thanks sir!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ pokie22
    I had issues with mine during the summer months. It was growing really well during winter and as summer got into full swing it died back to the roots.
    I was advised that the roots do not take well to excessive heat and should try move it to something that keeps it cooler and maybe try refrigerated RO water.
    I did that and it grew back, it's not doing a lot better during these hot months.
    Last edited by Brolloks; 08-17-2015 at 03:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The plant should be acclimated to the heat slowly before tossing it outside. Fortunately, mine were started outside so I had no problems with this. Ideally one should find a growing location where they are happy. Preferably, where they get the gentle morning and early afternoon sunlight. I can not comment on how the full California sun will affect them. My plants are shaded from the strong afternoon sunlight and receive a few hours of direct sunlight. That being said, there are genetic differences among them. The weaker of the lot are stunted in their growth while the strongest thrive. To find a plant that thrives under particular conditions one might need to sow seeds and select for a vigorous grower.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pokie22; 08-17-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast