User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I feed my Drosera regia? Put it outside?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I feed my Drosera regia? Put it outside?

I bought this D.Regia a couple of weeks ago and it's making a nice come back.

I've read some where that they require good feeding so they don't die.

Since I'm growing it indoors I'm wondering if any other Northern Californians in the Bay Area grows them outdoors and if I can throw them outside.

Also, what kind of food should I feed them?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel them? No, probably not. Sounds awkward.

Feed them? Yes If it doesn't catch food on its own you may feed it rehydrated bloodworms/captured insects or soil fertilize it as suggested here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/how...es/D_regia.php
    How can gravity be so strong if it doesn't even lift?
    >Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/gr...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've read someone who's regia started dying from the soil fertilization hmmmm...... but i mean if ICPS suggests it then i guess it's okay.

I have the Flower & vegetable osmocote, wil that work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not feel the D. regia. When I grew this plant, it appreciated feeding. Osmocote boosted my plants a bit, but the feeding of rehydrated-dried-bloodworms to the leaves was what really got them going.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tank you !

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a smaller D. regia plant growing outdoors here in southeast Alaska for the majority of the summer months. I have not fed or fertilized it once. It is certainly not thriving but it has maintained growth and put out a few leaves. This makes me think that if it could survive with so little care in my constantly cool and light starved, over-saturated conditions that D. regia may be able to grow outside in your area pretty well.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have grown my Drosera regia outside for a year.

It is growing in a terracotta pot in a peat and perlite mix. I give it Osmocote every few months because it doesn't seem to catch many insects on its own.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew two different clones indoors. They seemed to do well but after 2 or 3 years exhibited a noticeable and rapid decline. Such as shrinking down to a winter type bud in late spring and staying that way. I would put 4 or 5 Osmocote pellets in the medium once a year in the spring and feed with fruit flies or ground Betta fish pellets.

I moved them outdoors and the improvement was dramatic - coming out of the bud-like state and doubling in size relative to the pre-"dormant" size in a few months. I still add Osmocote pellets once a year and feed with fruit flies and foliar spray with MaxSea fertilizer.

I would guess these plants like a seasonal drop in temperatures which they weren't getting indoors even when I left the room mostly unheated during the winter.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast