What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filiformis blooming twice in a year?

I have a medium sized thread leaf sundew that flowered in June, producing these:
IBt4sxu.jpg

Yesterday I noticed what looked like another flower stalk coming up. Is this normal, or is mine doing something odd?

My filiformis "Florida red" have flowered about 3-4 times so far, I don't think it is that unusual, if a plant has the energy to flower again it probably will.

Okay then. Mine's a Florida giant version, so I guess it makes sense that it would bloom more than once. This also explains why the leaves it produced recently were smaller. Shame they only flower for a few hours a day though.

Mine is on stalk number three.

All my filiformis grew 3 flower stalks in quick succession. On the other hand, my Pinguicula primuliflora sent up 4 flowers earlier in the year and is now suddenly starting a 5th. I suppose it happens.

I should mention that there were three stalks earlier at the same time like nimbulan mentioned, and this one is the fourth. I want to hear about the butterwort though. Seems like you can get a lot of seeds from that if it's fertile.

Correction: 5 earlier this year, and a 6th starting now. Of the 2 pods that have dried, however, I couldn't find any seeds. The plant may not be self-fertile.

I've had D. filiformis in almost constant blooming/seed production since May. One pot is from NC, one's from NJ, some are FL Red. I think that if they're eating well and have access to bright sun, they'll pump out seeds constantly.

Correction: 5 earlier this year, and a 6th starting now. Of the 2 pods that have dried, however, I couldn't find any seeds. The plant may not be self-fertile.

P. primuliflora is definitely self fertile, mine flowered 8-9 times earlier this year, and a got a very good germination from the seeds (To much actually) and I'm currently growing the seedlings out.

P. primuliflora is definitely self fertile, mine flowered 8-9 times earlier this year, and a got a very good germination from the seeds (To much actually) and I'm currently growing the seedlings out.

I'll take some if you don't have room.

Still pretty small, biggest are less than a centimeter still

Still pretty small, biggest are less than a centimeter still

Sounds like you've got a while before space is an issue then. I ended up sprouting a bunch of sundews by accident and in a month they're already a good inch or so across. I need to find somewhere to put them.

Sounds like you've got a while before space is an issue then. I ended up sprouting a bunch of sundews by accident and in a month they're already a good inch or so across. I need to find somewhere to put them.

Yeah but when there is like 200 in a 2 1/2 '' pot there is!

I have a Tracyi and a Fl.Giant.No flowers or seeds yet,but I only got them this spring.

Maybe next year.

I don't think I've seen my capes or thread dews every flower but they were pretty small ones now that their larger id be eager to see if i get some next year. Problem i have with my filliformis is it never coils around any food that sticks to its Dewey leaves the capes always curl as soon as food touches them...hmmmmmmm

My capes flower all the time.Most of the time I just let the seeds fall where they may.

And the seedlings turn up EVERYWHERE.

My Filliformis don't curl either.I could be wrong,but I don't think they curl on prey like a Capenesis.

All they catch is mostly small prey like gnats or small flies.My Capes can get regular size flies if the have a good amount of Dew at the time.

Last edited:
My capes catch house flies. And im pretty sure filliformis do curl around pray ive seen my friends plant do it with only a 15 second delay...soo idk hmmm

Back