What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew

I'm new to growing cp, and I would like to know how old a drosera sundew should be to do a leaf cutting, and how what is the easiest way for me to do it?
Thank you in advance. :):

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Do you know what species it is? Drosera is the name of the genus, and refers to all sundews. If it doesn't have a solid ID on it a picture could help. Some of them (like D. aliciae) are just plain easier from root cuttings.

For the common species at garden shops and whatnot, I don't think there's a real limit, but I'd wait until it has at least a 1.5-2 inch leaf span just for convenience's sake.

Here's an example I did a few days ago. Took a leaf off of a Drosera adelae and cut it into once inch pieces. Stuck those in a container with distilled water, covered with plastic wrap and stuck it under the lights. Plantlets should start showing in a few weeks.

I think she has a pygmy drosera... Atleast thats what she told me she had when she pm'd me but im not sure what she has to know if that's what she's talking about

Last edited:
Pygmy Drosera are near impossible to get started from leaf cuttings; sundewman did it by tearing out the leaf completely with the stipule but the risk of just ripping the plant in half or otherwise damaging it are too much to be worth the bother. They produce gemmae anyway, so there's already a pretty reliable means of propagation.

Yeah what w03 said. Hopefully you'll have gemmae comin outta your ears soon ;)

Back