Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. arcturi in the City

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D. arcturi in the City

Hey all,

There was some interest earlier this year in my experience growing D. Arcturi. I live in a warm city with 30*c summer days but successfully grow both mature plants and seedlings of alpine sundew, including Arcturi.

For my mature plants, this is their third season. The seedlings are popping up everywhere, mostly due to the bog flooding multiple times over winter (even though it wasn't intentional, it mimics their natural environment anyway!).

In New Zealand the sun is extremely damaging to organic tissue, we have no ozone thanks to a certain Northern Hemisphere... and in Auckland it's especially bad. The bog is constantly fed by an insulated, supercooled reticulation system with probably about 150 litres of water throughout the system, with a backup 15 litres. The Arcturi share space with alpine versions of D. Binata, D. Spatulata, D. Pygmaea, Pinguicula and Utricularia, as well as Dionaea, D. Venusta and multiple species of moss. It's a busy place!

Everything's coming back for spring so I thought I'd just share a couple of quick pictures with both mature plants and seedlings, as well as some blurred red splotches of Binata and Spatulata. It can be done!

Last edited by bluemutiny; 09-28-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job! I'm kind of jealous, I've tried to grow D. arcturi a couple of times from seed with absolutely no luck at all. Maybe someday I can try again if I can ever find a better source.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you say is the most important part of your setup in regards to the survival of these alpine plants?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool that you have had such success! I am looking forward to hearing and seeing more as the season progresses if you should care to add to this thread.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    What would you say is the most important part of your setup in regards to the survival of these alpine plants?
    Certainly the ice-cold running water. Perhaps it doesn't have to be running but it's closest to their natural environment and that's what I've been trying to achieve.

I'll post some more pictures when they're a bit bigger, hopefully with some alpine utric flowers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So pretty little things! Cnt wait to see as they grow! Good job in ur success!