Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fertilizing Drosera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fertilizing Drosera

I guess I use to much fertilizer, but I always get negative results when I fertilize my Drosera. I was using a 150ppm urea-free orchid fertilizer sprayed on the leaves, but it resulted in deformed leaves. I recently tried some beta pellets, but that appears to have been a bit much as well. Is there a sweet spot when fertilizing Drosera? Here is Drosera venusta displaying The typical damage I am referring to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fertilizing Drosera-image-jpg  
    Last edited by cwatson1414; 10-24-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Add photo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I crumble high-protein flake fish food and lightly dust them. I try to not concentrate any food on a particular leaf.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never fed them, perhaps that's why they're so healthy
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me that the fertilizers/food is not the issue at hand here. I use Maxsea 16-16-16 mixed at full strength on my Drosera and have never observed any ill effects from it, quite the opposite actually. I've also used various fish foods in the past that had no adverse effects on any of the plants.

Edit:
    Photos of your plants would also help here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use crushed beta pellets to feed seedlings with no problems, exempting minor mold issues with the occasional too-large particle. I've also tried spraying adult plants with a dilute 50ppm 20-14-13 no-urea orchid fertilizer solution several times, with no noted difference in growth. It sounds like your fertilizing techniques might be a bit more concentrated than what the plants would appreciate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to get mold with the tiny flakes of the crushed freeze dried blood worms i use so i been looking to get some maxsea or some freezedried fruitflies to try on them, but these crazy rainy cold days are keeping me from getting anywhere at the moment...grrr.
    Since its cold the little dews aren't catching much of anything so id like to give them a little to munch on instead of leaving them without anything. I've noticed i don't have to feed my dews much they still grow and multiply happily but its fun to show company and friends kids and who ever...the things they catch and how they wrap around the prey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    It sounds to me that the fertilizers/food is not the issue at hand here. I use Maxsea 16-16-16 mixed at full strength on my Drosera and have never observed any ill effects from it, quite the opposite actually. I've also used various fish foods in the past that had no adverse effects on any of the plants.

Edit:
    Photos of your plants would also help here.
    Interesting. Do you have very strong lighting? mine are 2-6 inches from 4 4' T8 lights.Maybe I'm using too much fertilizer for my lighting situation? Although, I know some of my Drosera (especially capensis) put out deformed leaves if it was kept too wet. Maybe that was the real issue. It is in almost entirely peat, leavened with a little pumice.
    Last edited by cwatson1414; 10-13-2015 at 05:49 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatson1414 View Post
    Interesting. Do you have very strong lighting? mine are 2-6 inches from 4 4' T8 lights.Maybe I'm using too much fertilizer for my lighting situation? Although, I know some of my Drosera (especially capensis) put out deformed leaves if it was kept too wet. Maybe that was the real issue. It is in almost entirely peat, leavened with a little pumice.
    Have you considered that you may be burning your plants ? D.capensis will be somewhat quick to react to excessive heat. I notice a slight but obvious decline in mine during the hottest months of the year. I grow most of my Drosera 12"-18" under 4 T5 bulbs, a combo of either two 10,000k cools and two 3,000k warms or two 6,500k cools and two 3,000k warms. My media varies depending on species.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast