What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting

How would you report this drosera? I don't wish to mess up the plant and get peat all over it :x. Any tips?

P.S. I fed the plants with hydrated betta bits two days back too.

874a6a70e5e0666faf999f40426b95c3.jpg

Knock out the pot, divide the ball into sections ( not individual plants). Then you fill the new pots with medium and make a hole the size and shape of each section to go in that pot. Introduce the plant section and carefully seal the joins. Job done with no medium on the plants
Done properly the plants will not even know they've been repotted.

Last edited:
^ What Fred said.

If you want to separate the individual plants so they're not growing on top of one-another, you'll have to be a little harsher, and probably tweeze the plants apart. After you a get some plants separated and their roots untangled, you can "drill" a hole in new media with a toothpick, and pull the plants down into it by the end of the roots. Afterwards, use a spray bottle on the "stream" setting, and shoot some water into the soil next to the plant to dislodge it so it packs itself around the roots.

Sounds cruel, I know, but I've used this method both for various sundews and Sarracenia without any losses.

Both are perfect advice I've used both many times :)

Alright, thanks!

Last edited:
Even if you do get some peat on the leaves, the plants will cover it up with new growth in a month or so in my experience.

It's a task that is tedious, but you will be rewarded will many separate plants! :-O

^ What Fred said.

If you want to separate the individual plants so they're not growing on top of one-another, you'll have to be a little harsher, and probably tweeze the plants apart. After you a get some plants separated and their roots untangled, you can "drill" a hole in new media with a toothpick, and pull the plants down into it by the end of the roots. Afterwards, use a spray bottle on the "stream" setting, and shoot some water into the soil next to the plant to dislodge it so it packs itself around the roots.

Sounds cruel, I know, but I've used this method both for various sundews and Sarracenia without any losses.
How do you actually pull the roots down? The hole made by the toothpick is actually quite small.

Keep it simple and plant in small clumps as I said. It's a more natural look.

Keep it simple and plant in small clumps as I said. It's a more natural look.
But I don't think they're able to grow to their fullest potential with the surrounding plants blocking the lights out?

That's nonsense :-D

I've used both methods suggested here. It really depends on what your goals are, and how many pots of plants you wish to have. If your goal is to separate out the plants into many individual pots...Then I'd take the tweezer route. I prefer the LONG tweezers/tongs that you can easily find at any pet store that sells reptile supplies.

Here is an example of what I use. Zoo Med Super Deluxe Stainless Steel Feeding Tongs at PETCO

I hate disturbing the roots. When I have a pot that looks like yours, I usually use this method:

1.) Use the huge tweezers/tongs to gently pluck out my favorite plants in the pot (the most unique, or the most vigorous grower, etc). With these tweezers it is possible to pluck up the entire plant, AND take its own personal little root clump with it, without disturbing it too much (as opposed to using the smaller tweezers). Prior to doing this I prepare the new pot w/ media, poke the end of a spoon down into the media and make the hole. Holding the clump of roots and the individual plant, I press it down into the hole and use the rounded end of the spoon to press the media around the roots.

2.) Once I'm satisfied, or grow bored of separating out individual plants, I use fredg's method and just cut up the remainder like a chicago deep-dish pizza and stuff the pieces into pots with new media.

Hope this helps,
Rich

I use fredg's method and just cut up the remainder like a chicago deep-dish pizza and stuff the pieces into pots with new media.

That is not my method

Last edited:
Fredg I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean you're not the originator of that method or that I am mistaken in the method you suggested? "Knock out the pot and divide the ball into sections."

So perhaps I used slightly different language but what I suggested is essentially the same. Just relax lol. I do appreciate the bold emphasis. I personally prefer thin crust but I'm sorry if you're not a fan of the deep dish pizza ;).

The difference in language is the telling part, the methods are not the same. You're a "wham, bang, thank you ma'am" type whereas I was gentle, considerate and refined not to mention with considerable finesse.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you're able to assume which "type" I am from my post. My actions when repotting are quite slow, careful, and deliberate. In my original post I stated I don't like to cause unnecessary root disturbance. You do bring up a great point that we can both agree on; you think quite highly of yourself and your horticultural methods. I don't blame you; I would too if I had such gentle, considerate, and refined finesse. It is my hope that one day we can all be just like you.

Now I'm sure the OP got way more than they were asking for. Out of consideration for the OP and everyone else if you'd like to continue our discussion it would be best carried over into private message. If not then that's perfectly fine as I don't have much more that I care to say to you.

It's all in the language then?

How do you actually pull the roots down? The hole made by the toothpick is actually quite small.

Wiggle the toothpick around until the hole is big enough (but not huge). Use toothpick to carefully ease the root into the hole.
Once you've got it in, press the soil far from the outside to close the hole, perhaps from the rim of the pot with a flat spoon handle or similar. The proceed with the mister to compact the soil, as Zath describes.

The roots of rosetted sundews are actually not that sensitive---they're not like pygmies etc. I never lost a rosetted sundew repotting it this way. Still be careful. The less damage you cause, the less time it will take for the plant to recover. If you can leave a plug of medium around the roots, do!

Oops. Thread is longer than I realized. Oh well.

Back