Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sundews that do well with almost no water and don't care about humidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sundews that do well with almost no water and don't care about humidity

The Cape Sundew lives in arid South Africa, and I heard that it can go long spells without watering.
    Drosera Binata, the fork-leaved Sundew, supposedly can survive long spells without watering too.
    I have heard that D. Brevifola does OK under those conditions too.

So what are the Sundews that survive best without long watering and don't care about humidity? I would keep the plant indoors with the lid off for a week or two at a time, or outside, where there is just regular South Carolina humidity, that is, maybe 50% humidity or so. It's not desert, but it's not wetlands either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to have gotten some poor information somewhere. All of the species you've mentioned need to be kept very wet at all times, in fact all Drosera require moist substrates.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rakovsky View Post
    So what are the Sundews that survive best without long watering and don't care about humidity?
    I have to ask: why is this a requirement? Are you not going to be home to attend to the plant's needs for weeks/months at a time?

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IME, neither binata nor capensis have trouble dealing with low humidity PROVIDED their media is kept wet. Mine endure my winter RH of 25% or less with no problem. I do not grow either in terrs. However, as Cthulhu has mentioned, they must be kept quite wet at all times.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there other carnivorous plants besides sundews that qualify? The only ones that come to mind might be the Mexican butterworts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you heard of Drosera indica and Drosera hartmeyerorum? I heard they need things on the drier side.

I also read:
    Tuberous sundews: These nearly 50 Australian species form an underground tuber to survive the extremely dry summers of their habitat, re-emerging in the autumn. These so-called tuberous sundews can be further divided into two groups, those that form rosettes and those that form climbing or scrambling stems. Tuberous sundews comprise the subgenus Ergaleium.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosera
    Last edited by rakovsky; 10-22-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mexican butterworts, some go through a dry period, but it is seasonally and for the rest of the year they will need to be kept moist (and I think that's the same for tuberous sundews).

Unfortunately, I am unaware of any carnivorous cacti or succulents . . . and on that note, why not try some of those? They are fascinating!
    Check this link (caution, it goes on forever!): Flickriver: Haworthia em Lisboa's most interesting photos
    Last edited by Acro; 10-22-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rakovsky View Post
    Have you heard of Drosera indica and Drosera hartmeyerorum? I heard they need things on the drier side.

I also read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosera

Neither of those species can handle dry media either. As stated above, all Drosera species require moist media. Even Mexican Pinguicula require seasonally wet conditions in summer. The only carnivorous plant that is able to handle conditions on the dryer side is Drosophyllum lusitanicum. I do not however recommend that you attempt growing this plant until you've honed your skills more on much easier genera first.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast