What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera babies all the way!

98bcd3af1c000aba2450341f82caa08a.jpg
7ef2ffab86d09ec82fbec612e783e41d.jpg
5c291bee8c4da1888d1df36e959aaae5.jpg
2e7c37dee28611846a99e8f78dc7177b.jpg
a7e71ee7deb1d989220cca15d4986cc0.jpg
87d5d609eca9f4d74e5f0d924f594afd.jpg
98a8295f061d6af26f04d923a2487ca8.jpg

Can you guys please help me identify some plants here?
I know for sure that the lots of them (loads and red) are capensis red. The one flowering is spathulata? And i recognise the two small burmannii.
Cheers and i'll come with updates!

It is difficult to tell. When they are that small, many species of Drosera look too similar. I'm not even comfortable trying to guess yet. Definitely keep us posted and provide updates as they grow and develop.

Most of your plants are way too young to ID, and most need more light. The flowering plant, from the leaf shape, I'm going to guess it tokaiensis, but again it needs more light.

Wow, and here I thought I had a lot of babies. I wish I could help ID them, but all I know is that I have the same kind as some of the larger ones.

The flowering plant seems to be in the the spatulata complex. It's quite hard to get an ID for it considering the amount of sundews that look like that.

Last edited:
The D.burmannii at the bottom of photo #3 is plain enough to see. The mass of seedlings in photo #5 are mostly likely D.capensis. The rest, including the flowering one appear to be D.spatulata but as previously stated your plants need a lot more light. Upgrade the lighting on them and give them a bit more time then try posting some more pics.

The D.burmannii at the bottom of photo #3 is plain enough to see. The mass of seedlings in photo #5 are mostly likely D.capensis. The rest, including the flowering one appear to be D.spatulata but as previously stated your plants need a lot more light. Upgrade the lighting on them and give them a bit more time then try posting some more pics.

Yeep, these two I knew also, because the D capensis are my seeds, and by the way, if someone near Romania needs D. Capensis var. alba and typical Red, i'll be more than happy to send some :) ; and Burmannii are pretty straight forward...they're some brilliant droseras

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see the burmanii, and maybe some capensis or spathulata. Wait a little longer, till they get older.

Most of your plants are way too young to ID, and most need more light. The flowering plant, from the leaf shape, I'm going to guess it tokaiensis, but again it needs more light.

how much light should the babies get? I'm planning on getting some light bulbs, since Autumn/winter is coming here and they won't get much more light than now here.

As much as the parents, or the other sundews, just be carful of burn. Babies are easier to burn. that sounded weird

Last edited:
For sure it did. Did you burn any until now? Were they yours?

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A500FU folosind Tapatalk

Remember the two little droseras thought to be burmannii?nah, they don't seem like them. Here is a picture of them now:
3ce5fac0e952fbe69cdac98ef9832177.jpg
09e7d827b4ddac938d1fca5014e2bc87.jpg

And the rest of them, nowadays:

b20e0953f55ca84c27adf26cba9f3220.jpg
8f72365b124fdb58e9fa65291dc20cfa.jpg
0013ec7b67491b297804ec12a96b75fb.jpg

An interesting mix of sundews. 'Wouldn't want to guess at what they are just yet but maybe some others would.

Those are burmannii, the leaves are still a match, but: THEY NEED MORE LIGHT!! That is some serious etiolation going on there, these are plants that prefer at least 4+ hours of full-sun light intensity. The rest: same deal, there's little chance of gaining a correct ID without being grown in decent lighting.

I am trying to give them as much light as I can. Currently they are under two pannels of LEDs, for 14-15 hours a day. I will get them closer to the light source since today, then.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A500FU folosind Tapatalk

Hey! The etiolated babies are now forming new roots due to the increased lighting:
e6cf80327cd19910e345ef5aa5a13be7.jpg

6ab0b0bd81e262ec12d791c65d47079a.jpg

Other babies are growing bigger and gaining their redness:
78cf4898968d851f523c6f63d21caea0.jpg

Coming back with more pictures soon.

What sort of LED panels are you using?

Hi Greg,

The lighting is given by 14W R/B LED Lights, with Frequencies: 450nm for Blue and 660nm for Red. Corp LED cresterea plantelor 14W
I know it's still a little bit low for the Droseras I have, but it will have to do until i get my hands on some stronger LED pannel or T8/T5 bulbs. I'll get my terrarium in a short while and I will have a new home for them in a few weeks :D
For the moment I can say for sure that I have among the babies D. Burmannii, Spatulata and Capensis. Others, waiting for them.
Question: My D. Filiformis hasn't popped yet, for 3 weeks since sowing. Should I give them some time for Cold stratification? I have no idea how old the seeds are, since I've purchased them online.
BR,
Andrei

Hi Greg,

The lighting is given by 14W R/B LED Lights, with Frequencies: 450nm for Blue and 660nm for Red. Corp LED cresterea plantelor 14W
I know it's still a little bit low for the Droseras I have, but it will have to do until i get my hands on some stronger LED pannel or T8/T5 bulbs. I'll get my terrarium in a short while and I will have a new home for them in a few weeks :D
For the moment I can say for sure that I have among the babies D. Burmannii, Spatulata and Capensis. Others, waiting for them.
Question: My D. Filiformis hasn't popped yet, for 3 weeks since sowing. Should I give them some time for Cold stratification? I have no idea how old the seeds are, since I've purchased them online.
BR,
Andrei

If your D. filiformis seeds didn't previously receive a cold stratification you should definitely give them one. It's required for germination.

Drosera babies update

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Time has come for a quick update. The Drosera seedlings are up and running! Although I believe they are growing a bit slow? A baby D. Capensis sitting alone in the sun has caught up with these grown in artificial light in half the time...

Drosera babies

Last edited:
Back