Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sphagnum Wont Colonize

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once sphagnum takes off, it can handle lower humidity and water. Until then, make sure you keep it moist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be an okay idea to put some sphagnum peat in a Tupperware container and lay the clumps down, cover with Saran Wrap and set it under CFLs? Or does it need good air flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wet, well drained and humid at all times. Quite a lot of light as well, especially when cold, including some direct or dappled sunlight, but try to keep it cool. It seems to do well under the leaves of my nepenthes. If you keep highland species, the sphagnum seems to appreciate the night time drop in temperature. If it is well drained, you can't water or mist it too much!

In dry air conditions you might want to leave the pot standing in water, unless you are growing nepenthes.
    If it is standing in water, you have to be careful not to water it too much, as it will turn soggy and brown, but a daily or twice daily misting should suffice.

Covering with clingfilm will help to stop the tips drying out and will increase the humidity considerably.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by seymour01; 11-14-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynicalpink View Post
    Would it be an okay idea to put some sphagnum peat in a Tupperware container and lay the clumps down, cover with Saran Wrap and set it under CFLs? Or does it need good air flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't put the peat in and I'd flood it. No need for any cover then.

Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to keep in mind may be the media conditions/water purity. Sphagnum is almost always an indicator plant in carnivorous plant conditions. It enjoys acidic conditions and pure water. Heck... when my RO water filters degraded, sphagnum was the first thing to start showing dying off signs and started getting overrun with algae. If you notice any green slime mould/algae on your soil...that may also be an indicator that there may be a lot of nutrients in the soil. Sphagnum hates that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12