Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Ancient Seed Project Part 2 Drosophyllum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Ancient Seed Project Part 2 Drosophyllum

In addition to my Ancient Drosera Seed Project, I also acquired ~70 Drosophyllum seeds, dated 1996! Several people have told me that they have actually had higher germination rates with older Drosophyllum seed over freshly harvested seed. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

That being said, I finally had time to sew the seeds today! I scarified each seed using a nail file until I could just start to see the white endosperm. Then I placed the seeds on top of a mix consisting of 2 parts growstone (a superior perlite substitute), 1 part peat, 1 part sand, with just a little soil sprinkled over the seeds. In the pictures you can see I used peat pots nestled inside plastic pots to keep the peat pots from falling apart. I have the tray next to my Drosera seeds, under LED lighting and on top of a heating mat. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Last edited by J.Gennaro; 11-20-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These should still be just fine. There are many accounts of 10 year old + Drosophyllum seed sprouting with no issues. If you can file off the outer layer and still see white inside, then I'd say these are still as good as the day you got them.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have also been reports that very old Droso seeds will often sprout without any sort of scarification too....but like you I'd probably do it anyway
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that I will probably have a great germination rate from other people's accounts, but I still thought it would be fun to share this project with everyone! It is fascinating to think about how these plants will be as old as my sister once I get them germinated!
    Last edited by J.Gennaro; 12-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first (of hopefully many) seeds germinated!

Last edited by J.Gennaro; 12-02-2015 at 09:26 AM.