Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sundew Help ~ Confused and a bit Overwhelmed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    Up to you. I never do, but have too many capensis growing for me

Hmmm alright, that works As long as it's not hurting the plant it doesn't bother me <3

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about the roots, it's pygmy sundews that have delicate roots and are dangerous to transplant. Here's my Drosera capensis from earlier this year. It really needs a bigger pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbulan View Post
    Don't worry about the roots, it's pygmy sundews that have delicate roots and are dangerous to transplant. Here's my Drosera capensis from earlier this year. It really needs a bigger pot.

HOLY crap! o.o Those roots are so gnarly, lol that's awesome. But yea it's clearly trying to leave it's pot now :3

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a professional nursery that uses the Mosser Lee stuff so even though it's not the best by a long stretch it still works. But for what it's worth I am currently using Black Gold peat and the same brand of perlite. I also use a pool filter sand, from a pool specialty store. The coarser stuff is the better choice. In a pinch I would use the peat and just one of the other two constituents and feel fine about it.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all you're concerned with is what you put on your plants then a decent aquarium store can test your water sufficiently. If you're interested in what you're putting in your body, contact QC testing lab in Southampton.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What everyone else said but mostly it looks like it needs a media witty better aeration (moss, moss/perlite, peat/sand, peat/perlite/sand) and more light. If it was getting high humidity and you removed a dime or something that can affect it. It'll be fine though. Mine died back to a stem with a little green nub growth point, but in favorable confiions looked presentable in a month or so. This one will stay alive long enough to fix your errors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright it's been a minute since I've posted for help, I re-potted the thing in the moss, I rinsed the moss, and I've been watering it in a tray with distilled water. It's been in bright light in a window, it's not in a tank or anything but it's still pretty high humidity here and when I got it it was in relatively equal humidity.

For a while the older leaves were brown and dead looking and it had constant new growth, now it has... no new growth. There's not an ounce of green on the thing I looked at it one morning and it had a piece of fluff mold on the top of the moss x.x I'm going to take a picture to add but... I'm feeling like I killed it and I feel pretty dumb at the moment, lol. I smelled the moss and it smells like mold, so now I think that maybe it got root rot? :/ And if so I know with regular plants you have to re-pot them in new soil, so I'm not sure if I should re-pot this poor guy again? Bah I'm so frustrated, he's so pissed at me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have indeed managed to kill D. capensis, congratulations and may I welcome you to the club! Mine died when my grandson who lives with me was in his "helper" phase, and watered it daily with tap water. You live, you learn. Better growing next time. Repotting won't hurt. Although I don't grow capensis, I put all of my potted dews in a 50/50 mix of peat and sand.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 12-16-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast