Informational! Informational!:  8
Likes Likes:  3
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sundew Help ~ Confused and a bit Overwhelmed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, don't worry about it, I can't even grow capensis, it dies back to the roots for me every summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    If you have indeed managed to kill D. capensis, congratulations and may I welcome you to the club! Mine died when my grandson who lives with me was in his "helper" phase, and watered it daily with tap water. You live, you learn. Better growing next time. Repotting won't hurt. Although I don't grow capensis, I put all of my potted dews in a 50/50 mix of peat and sand.
    What brand peat and type of sand do you use? I might just look into that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SFLguy View Post
    Hey, don't worry about it, I can't even grow capensis, it dies back to the roots for me every summer
    Yea I told my fiance I'd like to try again and if I kill it again then it's just not meant to be It just sucks cause it's my absolutely favorite of the carnivorous plants! What kind of plants do you have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use whatever peat I find at Lowe's. For sand my favorite is size 0 filter sand, but recently I started using a sand intended as an underlayment for paving stones. I like the coarseness of the grains, and it's much cheaper than filter sand.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skip the trip. Just get a Zero Water brand counter top water filter and you'll know that your water is deionized with a TDS of less than 6 and pH around 5.8.

Bed Bath and prices beyond sells them and they may take pity on you if you don't bring a coupon.

RO filters waste water, unless the waste water is routed to your grey water sysyem.
    Last edited by webskipper; 12-19-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I use whatever peat I find at Lowe's. For sand my favorite is size 0 filter sand, but recently I started using a sand intended as an underlayment for paving stones. I like the coarseness of the grains, and it's much cheaper than filter sand.
    Where do you get the new sand from? Also lowes?

Yea I ended up grabbing a tds meter from online, and I tested our rain water is 82 pps, and our tap water is about 262ppm, which doesn't matter too much anyway since I ended up buying distilled water to use! Thankfully!

Though I still managed to murder the damn thing...

Here's a picture, this is what it ended up looking like...it turned into this LONG before the moss dried out though, so that wasn't the problem. -sigh- the top ended up getting mold on it and it all smelled like mold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
    Skip the trip. Just get a Zero Water brand counter top water filter and you'll know that your water is deionized with a TDS of less than 6 and pH around 5.8.

Bed Bath and prices beyond sells them and they may take pity on you if you don't bring a coupon.

RO filters waste water, unless the waste water is routed to your grey water sysyem.
    Calculate your cost per gallon. Even with the 3 to 1 rejection rate, the cost of ro water made at home is a tiny fraction of the cost per gallon with a home deionizer such as Zero Water.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup I buy the sand at Lowe's. It's usually outside in the garden center with the rest of the paving stones and supplies.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if good water is free and we have infinite supplies.

Calculate the costs in realtime.

What do you pay the city or utility company to dig the pipes and annual water bill?

Im in the desert and we bring water in from another State.

I do my part to minimize waTer usage.

Its amazing how far a 5 gallon bucket of rain water can be stretched during a black out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
    As if good water is free and we have infinite supplies.

Calculate the costs in realtime.

What do you pay the city or utility company to dig the pipes and annual water bill?

Im in the desert and we bring water in from another State.

I do my part to minimize waTer usage.

Its amazing how far a 5 gallon bucket of rain water can be stretched during a black out.
    I have calculated the cost in real time, and more importantly in a place more suited for human habitation than a desert! With all due respect, if you live someplace they have to import water to, my advice is to move to the place the water comes from. Imagine how long my 500+ gal of rainwater on hand would last.......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast