Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Beginnings

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stemrust View Post
    Do you feed plants which have been started indoors? I successfully germinated a single seed in December and plan to move it outside after the risk of deep freeze is over. I've put some fish food flakes and ground, dried meal worms on the plant a couple of times but it doesn't look like they are being digested. I'm allergic to blood worms, otherwise would be using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I find that Maxsea fertilizer can be mixed at 1/4 strength and either dripped along the leaves or lightly misted onto them. This works well for indoor grown plants.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Fred, yes they are quite successful hunters aren't they. I used to keep the big plants on the balcony and even in open air the scent would be everywhere.

Stemrust I don't usually fertilize my drosophyllum but in the past I have used Maxicrop Seaweed (Soluble Powder) on adult plants successfully. The effect is noticeable right away and I use it for pretty much everything including CPs. I diluted it a lot and watered the plants, didn't spray. I don't see the need for it on drosophyllum because soon after they germinate they start hunting even indoors. Right now I can spot more than a few gnats on them, a jumping spider and I'm sure there are many more that I can't see right away like thrips and springtails.
    Just give her lots of light, lots of water, good air circulation and she should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try.

Last question for the day - do plants have to be hardened off much when going from indoors to outside? My plant is currently about 3" from a LED grow light, which is about as intense as I can get it. I'll keep it in the deep shade outside before exposing to full morning sun only, eventually moving it to full.

Is that appropriate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful specimen, I have tried a few times and they tend to get to about 30-35cm and survive 4-5months, then the wet season comes and they rot and die before they ever flowered to make more seed.
    So I am always envious of those who can do them well, does you climate agree with them (dry), or do you need to take special care?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stemrust I have no experience with LEDs so can't comment on the intensity but grow light will work. Drosophyllum doesn't need hardening off at all when it comes to sunlight. Moved from deep shade to 8 hours of sunlight directly - it will only be happy. However, when they are this young they need constant moisture or they die fast. I keep my seedlings' pots submerged in water until they are bigger. They are very frost-hardy, even seedlings will not die under snow (tried it) but growth halts. This is why I start them indoors, they grow better when it's warmer.

Adalea Australian seasons are weird to the rest of the world I hear Istanbul's climate is close to mediterranean climate, so it's similar to their natural habitat. Summer time is still risky because in pots it's hard to give them enough moisture without causing rot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123