What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Beginnings

...and this time from my own plants' seeds. Can't wait !

droso_zps6fak7qkh.jpg

YAY! Good for you!

That's great! What's your media mix?

It's peat, perlite, vermiculite and lava rock. I substitute for sand sometimes. Basically it's 1 peat to 3 or 4 inorganic stuff.

All going well.

drosobut_zpsx50kdjjl.jpg

Nice! They'll all create the illusion of a large dewy forest in no time haha.

It's always so nice to see how much they've grown. This shimmering sight in morning light never gets old, I really missed this plant.

dewy_zpsvpnbyevi.jpg

Awesome. The one I haven't been able to grow. I love it. Keep up the good work Maxima.

They look soo good, very nice!

Awesome sight! My favorite sundew. Keep up the good work.

How's the scent?

Awesome sight! My favorite sundew. Keep up the good work.

Drosophyllum isn't a sundew; they're not even closely related (this one is actually rather close to Nepenthes)

Lol. I did not say "my favorite drosera." I know they are not related to drosera. I said “sundew” as in Portuguese sundew, which is another name for them along with Dewy pine, as in they produce dewy leaves that trap prey like other sundews and in appearance look like a sundew, etc., etc., thus "my favorite “sundew.” Jeeze Louise!

hcarlton's information is useful for those who are new to CP's or don't know much about Drosophyllum.

Last edited:
That pine sap / honey scent is definitely starting to fill up the room but not too strong yet. Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

DJ how are your drosos doing ? I remember you were keeping a few big pots outside. I lost my big plants when I had to go away for the summer.

That pine sap / honey scent is definitely starting to fill up the room but not too strong yet. .

Good memories of the scent of honey filling the entire greenhouse on a hot summer's day, even when there was a triple layer of flies on the entire plant.

Those are nicely grown, congratulations.

For the experienced "Portuguese sundew" aka "Dewy Pine" aka "Slobbering Pine" growers on the list (yes, I'm being a smart*****)...

Do you feed plants which have been started indoors? I successfully germinated a single seed in December and plan to move it outside after the risk of deep freeze is over. I've put some fish food flakes and ground, dried meal worms on the plant a couple of times but it doesn't look like they are being digested. I'm allergic to blood worms, otherwise would be using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you feed plants which have been started indoors? I successfully germinated a single seed in December and plan to move it outside after the risk of deep freeze is over. I've put some fish food flakes and ground, dried meal worms on the plant a couple of times but it doesn't look like they are being digested. I'm allergic to blood worms, otherwise would be using them.

I find that Maxsea fertilizer can be mixed at 1/4 strength and either dripped along the leaves or lightly misted onto them. This works well for indoor grown plants.

Thank you Fred, yes they are quite successful hunters aren't they. I used to keep the big plants on the balcony and even in open air the scent would be everywhere.

Stemrust I don't usually fertilize my drosophyllum but in the past I have used Maxicrop Seaweed (Soluble Powder) on adult plants successfully. The effect is noticeable right away and I use it for pretty much everything including CPs. I diluted it a lot and watered the plants, didn't spray. I don't see the need for it on drosophyllum because soon after they germinate they start hunting even indoors. Right now I can spot more than a few gnats on them, a jumping spider and I'm sure there are many more that I can't see right away like thrips and springtails.
Just give her lots of light, lots of water, good air circulation and she should be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try.

Last question for the day - do plants have to be hardened off much when going from indoors to outside? My plant is currently about 3" from a LED grow light, which is about as intense as I can get it. I'll keep it in the deep shade outside before exposing to full morning sun only, eventually moving it to full.

Is that appropriate?

Beautiful specimen, I have tried a few times and they tend to get to about 30-35cm and survive 4-5months, then the wet season comes and they rot and die before they ever flowered to make more seed.
So I am always envious of those who can do them well, does you climate agree with them (dry), or do you need to take special care?

Back