What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legitimate Drosera solaris locality?

Ok, I'm a little unsure about this. In the original type description (2007) of Drosera solaris by Fleischmann, Wistuba, and McPherson (doi:10.3372/wi.37.37214), it was described as being endemic to "a small plateau in the Pakaraima Mountains southeast to the famous Mt. Roraima." The holotype description was subsequently given as "Guyana, Pakaraima Mountains, Mt. Yakontipu, just below the summit of the plateau, 2065m". There is at least one European vendor advertising D. solaris from "Mt. Yakontipu, Pakaraima Mountains, Guyana".

On the Wikipedia page on Maringma Tepui (also in the Pakaraima Mountains southeast to Mt. Roraima), the footnote claims that the authors of Sarraceniaceae of South America (2011) say that "Maringma-tepui was incorrectly called 'Mount Yakontipu' by Fleischmann et al. in their description of Drosera solaris." Coincidentally, the book's authors also comprise the entire team that submitted the original description. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the full text of Sarraceniaceae of South America, but perhaps someone here does? I'm 95% sure that the revision is correct, although I'd like to be certain before going around changing plant tags. Thank you to anyone who was willing to trudge through and actually read this whole thing!

Last edited:
You have me curious, too. I haven't heard of a type species description listing an incorrect location name but it must happen on occasion.

Thanks for the response, I haven't gotten a definitive answer from anyone yet. I guess I'll just forgo the location data for now...

You could always try contacting (one of) the authors... as far as I know, they're all pretty friendly and responsive.

Last edited:
Back