Informational! Informational!:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera adelae and Polyploidy.[Giant pictures]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polyploidy is so freaking neat and random in its effects that it would take a small workshop to show what it's capable of doing... but among them, our native Goldenrod at some point naturalized in China. It subsequently became polyploid and now grows twice its natural rate and size, 6-10' tall, and is a hugely troublesome invasive over there.
    Last edited by theplantman; 01-13-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to experiment on A. titanum, but there are space issues with that. And time constraints. Maybe later, when I have more room and can get leaf cuttings or seeds.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    I'm hoping the Drosera adelae get larger, and I'm also going to be measuring how their stickyness varies. Also, if they get larger than the normal ones that would explain a thing or two about that giant adelae that appeared recently.
    I'm unsure about the giant plant(s) you refer to but D. adelae in its standard form can get surprisingly large. It seems to be largely a function of how much light it gets. The plants I am most used to seeing get normal 'sundew amounts' of light and grow smaller, very narrow leaves. Given lower light levels the leaves get wider and just bigger overall as does the entire plant. I think this species tolerates the higher light conditions but prefers the lower ones.

Just the same your results should be fun to see.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I'm unsure about the giant plant(s) you refer to but D. adelae in its standard form can get surprisingly large. It seems to be largely a function of how much light it gets. The plants I am most used to seeing get normal 'sundew amounts' of light and grow smaller, very narrow leaves. Given lower light levels the leaves get wider and just bigger overall as does the entire plant. I think this species tolerates the higher light conditions but prefers the lower ones.

Just the same your results should be fun to see.
    They do get larger in the dimmer light, but there's one clone going around that gets huge in strong light and apparently resembles a young king sundew in terms of size.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! That's all news to me, and pretty interesting news at that. I found this link on the CP Photofinder (thanks to the original poster): http://www.cedric-carnivores.fr/img/...5-thickbox.jpg That looks to be a one-gallon pot at least.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Thanks! That's all news to me, and pretty interesting news at that. I found this link on the CP Photofinder (thanks to the original poster): http://www.cedric-carnivores.fr/img/...5-thickbox.jpg That looks to be a one-gallon pot at least.
    Yeah, that kind of adelae.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious how much of a factor humidity is in determining leaf size as well. Mine certainly won't get all that large, but it is growing in 50% humidity.

That link won't load for me, but I've seen a picture of a plant with solid red leaves at least 6 inches long in strong light before.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, wonder how much difference humidity makes to this species. I kinda guess that D. adelae likes it more than most but I haven't tested that hypothesis.

I would've liked to just post the photo but that didn't seem fair to the person who owns it.
    - Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast