Informational! Informational!:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drosera adelae and Polyploidy.[Giant pictures]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the chemical Colchicine to induce polyploidy, as in my famous article:
    CPN Samples

I did not find that polyploidy increased size of sundews. Rather, I used this trick to make sterile hybrids fertile. However, I never treated D. adelae.

When you get really good at it you can tell which plant is polyploid or not by comparing cell size. I am able to do this by simply examining cells on the leaf surface using a 20x hand lens. Have fun.
    Ivan, AKA the Evil Dr. FrankenSnyder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenSnyder View Post
    I have used the chemical Colchicine to induce polyploidy, as in my famous article:
    CPN Samples

I did not find that polyploidy increased size of sundews. Rather, I used this trick to make sterile hybrids fertile. However, I never treated D. adelae.

When you get really good at it you can tell which plant is polyploid or not by comparing cell size. I am able to do this by simply examining cells on the leaf surface using a 20x hand lens. Have fun.
    Ivan, AKA the Evil Dr. FrankenSnyder
    I'd have loved to use colchicine because there's much more literature about how to use it, but it's not allowed in my work environment.

I wonder why polyploid sundews don't seem to have much difference in size, because most other things do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    I'd have loved to use colchicine because there's much more literature about how to use it, but it's not allowed in my work environment.

I wonder why polyploid sundews don't seem to have much difference in size, because most other things do.
    Or maybe it's a myth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: First leaf unfurling since exposure. We'll see how it looks compared to control group plantlets of similar size.

In the meantime, here are some Brassica rapa fast plant flowers.

Control. These plants are seven times taller and have many more flowers. They are less sturdy though.

Exposed. These aren't in full bloom yet, but they have odd shaped flowers. Much smaller too, but not slower growing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenSnyder View Post
    Or maybe it's a myth?
    The polyploid size difference? Definitely not, as the above photos indicate. Polyploids aren't always larger though.
    Last edited by Cruzzfish; 02-01-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further update: the polyploid adelae look a little bit pointier with their leaves than the regular ones. Other than that I can't tell any difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123