Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propagating some 'dews!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propagating some 'dews!

So, I've decided to try propagating my D. Aliciae and my D. Venusta via a couple of different methods (to see which work best, if any). I've taken cuttings of a flower stalk from each, leaf cuttings from each, and root cuttings from the Aliciae, as it needed a pot upgrade anyway, its roots were busting out of the pot. They are currently each in moist LFS and under humidity domes, under a small fixture fitted with a t5 bulb. So far, I feel like the small amount of Internet research I did has been helpful, but I thought it might be good to come here and ask if anybody has tips/tricks that work particularly well for them/if there appears to be anything I've missed. Anyone?
    Last edited by squidfengshui; 01-21-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had pretty good luck floating flower stalks in a small amount of water. Not sure whether some species do better or not with that method though.
    Last edited by SgtSarracenia; 01-18-2016 at 06:58 PM.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I've been thinking about that method...is there a particularly preferable type of container for this? Would I need to change the water out periodically?? Could definitely stand to take out a couple of the flower stalk cuttings and try it out to see if it works.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squidfengshui View Post
    Would I need to change the water out periodically??
    I would. It helps prevent rot from setting in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squidfengshui View Post
    Would I need to change the water out periodically??
    I always change the water once algal growth starts to inevitably set in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried floating plant material in water, AND pressing it against (and pushing it into) the media with what seemed like equally good results. When it comes to floating it in water, I use those small clear plastic containers (often used for ketchup) which are commonly sold in the grocery store among the paper plates & plastic cups. I re-use them several times and if they get gross I just toss them into my recycling bin.

You'll have to just see which works best for you. I know people that just fill seedling trays with pure peat, shove plant material into it, and they all sprout new plantlets in a couple weeks. When in doubt- just wait. If there's one thing I've learned, it is that if the plant material isn't rotting and growing mold, there's a chance it might "strike" and grow a new plant! Good luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I've set this up in a plastic cup under my lights with a couple of the flower stalk pieces and put it alongside my cuttings pressed into media. Now, the waiting game! Thanks guys! Hopefully this goes well and in time I'll have a few new plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As radagast said, the little condiment cups work well. As long as they don't dry out they are fine. If they start to grow algae I just replace the cup. I get mine at smart and final, they tend to have pretty good prices. After the stalks sprout I press then into media. I cut them into pieces at least an inch long. They like to grow multiple plants from the stalks. I usually will cut the pieces that grow multiple plants, so that I have a few plants. Just use a sharp blade. Good luck.
    "Only when you live to learn, will you learn to live"
    GROWLIST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast