What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew seeds in the rain

I just planted some drosera capensis seeds today in a 6-inch LFS pot outside. Should I bring the seeds inside if it rains or keep them outside because I am worried they will get washed under the soil.

In my opinion, it depends on how hard the rain is. If it's a light drizzle, you should be fine, but anything more than that and you might want to bring it in. I've never grown capensis from seed though and I don't really know how big the seeds are, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Bring em in, don't risk them getting washed under the soil.

unless the pot is experiencing a mud slide I wouldn't worry about it. A little soil nudging up against the seeds won't prevent if from germinating. If it did, you wouldn't see these plants ever making in the wild!

Potted in fresh soil you risk the seed being covered by the disruption rain would cause to the soil or seed actually washing out of the pot. Freshly sown dew seed can jump around quite a bit even with light rain. What I do is put fresh seed pots under a table or other cover outside where they have good airflow and still get the light benefit from sunlight. If you don't have this option, I would bring them in during rain showers.

The main concern with rain is that it will knock the seeds out of the pot, not necessarily that they will be pushed under the soil. It's best to protect CP seeds from the rain because you WILL lose seeds.

I put my first batch out without cover - out of 50 seeds three germinated. Next batch went out in one of those plastic clamshells you get tomatoes or lettuce in sometimes - and I had about 75% germination. Keep them covered!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make sure it stays arround 24c, or they might cook...
Also poke some holes in the lid to get air circulation

Sent from my phone, so sorry for mistakes.

My growlist can be found at:
Yaron's Grow List, with images

Back