Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosera capensis white petioles

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    I've only had it for a week or two and they came in bare root so the media's fresh. It's been coming inside and outside a lot lately because the temps have been fluctuating outside lately, it's nice and humid outside but it's probably more like 40-50% inside.
    Capensis can handle burning temps with little humidity. I've kept mine outside in full sun during 90+ Fahrenheit weather.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may just be stressing the plant out by moving it constantly. Leave it in one spot and it will be fine. D. capensis does not care about humidity.

My entire collection was subjected to 35% humidity for two days and everything looks fine, even the plants that are supposed to require higher humidity, like Heliamphora and a couple South American CPs.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised they are doing this.

As the original grower in question (and as the OP comfirmed), I can assure they did not go out that way. This is how they looked before being unpotted:

If anything, his humidity levels are a huge step up from mine. My winter RH has been around 15%. I do not grow capensis in terrs as they have never shown any problems dealing with my low RH.

Over the summer, I grow capensis outside in full sun. But for the wintertime, they grow under fluorescent lights approx 2" away from the tubes. The lighting is strong enough to bloom Cattleya and to cause pings to color up.

I do not feed frequently over the winter.

Temps over the winter were typically in the low to mid 70s F.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was more like high 60's in my basement (only free space) and it was probably cooler in the windowsill. It's warmer now though, and I've let them stay out over night in the mid 50's to high 40's. Could it be cold shock?
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capensis comes from a place where temperatures can drop to freezing on occasion, or soar into the 100's F; humidity, temperatures, lighting levels etc. are not an issue for this species if it has a chance to acclimate to whatever conditions. This looks like the plant is sunburned on the leaves that are used to lower light levels, possibly the leaves even drying out and thereby losing all their chlorophyll. The new, acclimated leaves will be fine so long as the plant is left in one place. With the additional complication of recent repotting, it may have accelerated the issue which is why it looks a bit odd to the rest of us, and the plant needs time to regrow all its necessary root hairs.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it is just shock. When should the shock wear off.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Keep three of my capensis indoor by a east-facing windowI the humidity is about 60%I and they are fine. the rest of my capensis are all Kept outside with humidity usually lower than 20% . Also indoor temp is about 24 C while out door can reach 30 C or even higher. I would suggest maybe pulling it out and check the condition of its root. Capensis is pretty tough,so they will grow back once conditions are okay unless it's some sort of disease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    Maybe it is just shock. When should the shock wear off.
    If you leave it alone and in one place, it should recover within a couple weeks. You should notice an improvement in the next leaves, if it truly is just shock. Moving it in and out constantly will only prolong the issue, though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast