What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant, no dew, whyy???

Hi, how are you guys?
Well, see, I am totallly new in this hobby.
And I just got this new drosera intermedia from a local breeder.
He sent it to me bareroot, covered with wet paper towel. According to him, its a juvenile.
I plant it, but there are no dews and some of the leaves are browning.
My medium is pure spaghnumm. And the light was just common househod light. Today I put her outside but still shaded, not directly in the sun.
I cannot get pure water at that time. I gave it tap water (undrinkable) that was kept for 3days... I plan to buy distilled water today.

Now, was it ok with my plant being dewless and how about my treatment? Please help....
Thanksssss

The best advice was already given to you on FTC. It is normal for stressed/ shipped/ newly potted drosera to lose the dew on their old leaves. If the conditions are favorable, the new leaves will have dew when they grow

Yup stress and needs more light most likely. Not enough light is one cause for no dew. Give the plant time to acclimate.

New update: I was too late in reading to 'sun-break' the plant, so now I fried 2 leaves by leaving her in the direct hot sun for 7 hours straight. They're browning!!!! :(
I 'sun-break' her today by just giving her late afternoon sun (max 3 hours)...

But the good point was I have an unfurled leaf and it looked good with red-ish hair, and the stem was standing straighter than the others.. I hope it can produce dews also in few days..
And I have 1-2 new small leaves. I hope it means the sundew was getting better. Ha....
Fingercrossed.

New update: I was too late in reading to 'sun-break' the plant, so now I fried 2 leaves by leaving her in the direct hot sun for 7 hours straight. They're browning!!!! :(
I 'sun-break' her today by just giving her late afternoon sun (max 3 hours)...

But the good point was I have an unfurled leaf and it looked good with red-ish hair, and the stem was standing straighter than the others.. I hope it can produce dews also in few days..
And I have 1-2 new small leaves. I hope it means the sundew was getting better. Ha....
Fingercrossed.

Sounds like you're just fine. As long as you have new growth coming in the plant sounds like its starting the adjustment to your conditions. I wouldn't worry about losing some old leaves too much.

Yay. Am happy to announce that the dew is back. Even if its only in one leaf. But its still makes me happy.
Some new shoots are also on their way.
Cannot be happier.
Waiting for the time to give the leaf some ant. Hahaha

If it's outside, that plant will feed itself.

The leaves are still too small for mozzies, unless its ant.
The width havent even reach 0'7cm yet.
Do you think it really can catch their own bugs???
I was thinking abt hand feeding it small ants. Hahhaha

I have no idea what a mozzie is. If it's really small, you should probably wait for it to grow some before feeding it. Do you think you can post a photo of the leaf next to something for a size reference?

Intermedia will handle extremely bright light, start adapting it to more sunlight now. If it is the temperate form, it could just be worn out from not going dormant in the tropics, and may unfortunately be on its last limb.

Mosquitos. Hahahahhahahahaha.. Sorry sorry. .

I dont understand how can I post pic here yet. Tell me plz??

Gosh, I hope its nothing serious... :(
I can only give it some 1-4 pm sunlight tho. I hope its enough..

Mosquitos. Hahahahhahahahaha.. Sorry sorry. .

I dont understand how can I post pic here yet. Tell me plz??
Oh, mosquitoes, hehehe. To post a picture, go to a photo hosting website, such as photobucket, Flickr or imgur, make an account and upload the image to your account. Go to your gallery/library and click the link marked img, then right click without moving the mouse. Select copy and then past to your post, a very long link will show up and it will appear as an image on your post. There is a sticky thread in general discussions that explains how to post photos as well.

Last edited:
My drosera intermedia.
Flickr
The size left to right apprx 5-6cm.
The best leaf thatvwas start to dew was the most left

Last edited:
That plant looks pretty nice to me, it should handle mosquitoes just fine.

I agree, reading over this I thought the plant wasn't doing very good, but now that Ive seen it it looks really good!

Keep doing what your doing and it should grow fine :)

Nick

Wohhhhh. Thanks so much for the assurance..
I will do the sunbreak till Friday. I hope I can put the plant outside for a full day sun on Saturday..
*fingercross*

Wohhhhh. Thanks so much for the assurance..
I will do the sunbreak till Friday. I hope I can put the plant outside for a full day sun on Saturday..
*fingercross*

After 2-3 days (I left for holiday) the plant seems getting better.
Flickr
New leaves are redder, have better dews and its sticky enough.
The old leaves were still.. well... down. XD XD XD
I couldn't be happier.
I want to try giving it ant. I hope the leaf wont die afterward. XD

Back