What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New project: Drosera Seed

Guessing Drosera seed(lings) & plantlet

Another 'Drosera giveaway' from my breeder.
What kind of Seed he throws? no idea. It was his joke. 20 people will get seeds, but the spesific will be a secret.
It was small.. I am sorry. I mean TINY........
It was black. It shaped like elips with sharp points.

Personal Reports:
Day 1. July 5th 2016.
Planting the seed over the wet spaghnum moss. Did not really count but its below 20 seeds.
Plastic container with small holes below, with water 1cm..
Put it outside, roof shaded.

Hope nothing goes wrong

Last edited:
A lot of Drosera seeds look like that, but you can only wait until the seeds reach maturity before you can identify them.

Filiformis, burmanii, sessilifolia, capillaris long leaf, intermedia, tokaiensis.
That's what my vendor said. It would be one of those. Hahaha...
Idk how long should I wait for the seed to germinate. The D. Intermedia leaf cutting only took 20 days to sprout plantlets.

Germinating Drosera seeds in a pot can easily take a month to 6 weeks before you can see anything.

Good growing,
Mike

Trying out the water-strike method with the rest of the seeds. I am hoping it can grow nicely since this method already gave me 2 cute healthy plantlets.
The wet media method only gave me algae so far. It was sad.. :(
Will post pic later on.

Flickr
The rest of the seeds. 20-30ish seeds with different sizes that just visible when I dip them to the water.
Some floats, some drowned. :(
Idk if I will get few different plant or maybe the seeds was just smaller than the rest...
Distiled water
Bright indirect light (front porch)
Covered with plastic and rubberband.

Don't give up on your pots yet. Like others have said it can take a while before you see any recognizable drosera. As long as you hold onto the pots and don't toss them there's still a chance.

Back