I attempted to hybridize Drosera capensis "Typical" and Drosera aliciae this morning. This is my first effort at creating a hybrid.
I waited until flowers from both plants were wide open. Then I took some tiny cuticle scissors and cut off one of the anthers from the D. aliciae flower. The pollen looked fully developed and fluffy.
After cleaning the scissors, I removed all 5 anthers from the D. capensis flower so it couldn't pollinate itself.
I took a toothpick and scraped off the stigmas of the capensis flower to remove any residual pollen even though I couldn't see any present.
I scraped all the pollen off the D. aliciae anther, put it on the tip of a dental pick and applied it to the stigmas of the D. capensis flower. I repeated this for all 5 stigmas of the capensis.
I tied a piece of sewing thread around the D. capensis flower. This way, I know which seed pod to watch for swelling and possible seed development. In 3 or 4 weeks, I hope to harvest my first hybrid Drosera seeds.
Tomorrow or Tuesday, I will try to cross pollinate my Drosera capensis "Broad Leaf" and Drosera aliciae. The Broad Leaf flower was not cooperating today.
Wish me luck everybody.