What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Finlaysoniana Moisture

Hey all, I have a some D. Finlaysoniana that I sowed a few months ago. A few of those seedlings are just now starting to leave the tiny seedling stage. The largest is about an inch tall and across now. The thing that I'm wondering is what kind of watering these plants want as they mature. I haven't found too much online about the specific growing conditions for these sundews. Does anyone know whether they prefer to be on the dryer or wetter side of the spectrum for carnivorous plants? Thanks.

I don't think they're picky. I give mine the standard soil and tray watering as with all my tropical sundews.

I agree. I don't think finlaysoniana is fussy about watering. When mine got to the 1" tall stage, I transplanted them into a 6 inch deep, 6 inch round pot. I kept this in 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch water in a tray. They loved these conditions. They're still producing flowers and seed.

Good growing,
Mike

Thanks for the advice. That sure eases my mind.

Everything I've been told is they like drier conditions than most sundews (and sandier). Tall pots negate the issue, but if it's in a short pot less water is better. Their main concern is a lot of light though.

I tend to keep them slightly drier as they mature, but I don't think this matters too much as long as they're getting enough light.

Humidity and heat definitely aided in germination for mine, increasing strike rates up by 80%. But specific humidity levels were not necessary after I removed them from the germination trays. The seeds like it warm for germination.

When I put the plants outdoors here in Portland, they changed their growth habit from excessive length to more robust girth. I thought that was interesting, and I suspect that temperatures had something to do with it.
Regardless, all my plants' pots are inundated with water to the brim.

Last edited:
You'll find it was light more than temperature that caused them to stop growing etiolated. There's almost never a place indoors that possesses the light levels outdoor conditions have.

Thanks for all the input. For now, I'll just keep them on a standard watering regimen. I will say that they have massively increased the growth rate now that they are large enough to feed.

The reason I suspect temperature had to do with it was that the plants were originally growing directly under a bank of 4 t5s. When I moved them outside they were shaded. It was the most unusual transformation I've ever seen.

In retrospect it may have been their access to food that bulked them up.

Back