What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dew drying up?

Okay I'm guessing this thing is an Adelae. It is built like a small golden rod plant but it's a sundew. It came in a square plastic mini-terrarium from the shelf in Lowes store. It was covered in dew when I bought it, but since I've added it to my closed terrarium the dew has gone away... no droplets any more. Otherwise the plant is okay making new leaves, baby plants from the roots, etc.. but no dew drops.
The terrarium is a 10gal enclosed with 2 flor-lights on top. It stays between 70 and 80*F and is very humid inside.
Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

I really like this plant because it has been sucking up all the tiny nats that seem to breed in the moss.

How long have you had this sundew. If it's been a month or less then it could still be recovering form the change of environment and transplanting.

Well it's been 2 weeks and I didn't really transplant, I just took the plastic cover off and sat it into my terrarium in the pot.

OK, it's just getting used to it's new home and a lower humidity.  Humidity under the small cap was probably a little higher than in the terrarium.  Since it's producing new leaves and small plants I think it is on it's way to adjusting to the light & humidity levels of it's new home and will be fine.

okay that sounds good if they will recover without me having to boost the humidity up even more... that would be hard.
It does seem to look a little happier the warmer i get the terrarium. I guess the humidity goes up a bit once it really warms up. Around 80* and higher is when they look happier.
Is this pretty normal?
Do these sundews need a dormant cycle or no?
I'm sure the info is somewhere, but I just
looked at what seemed like a billion different sundews online...
very interesting species.

The sundews at Lowes are usually adelae, and if they have rounded leaves, its a spathulata. Neither require a dormancy. Adelae is from Australia and does well with higher humidity. When they get to mature size, they pop alot of plants from thier roots. Good luck-Zach

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cephalotus88 @ Sep. 25 2002,12:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The sundews at Lowes are usually adelae, and if they have rounded leaves, its a spathulata. Neither require a dormancy. Adelae is from Australia and does well with higher humidity. When they get to mature size, they pop alot of plants from thier roots. Good luck-Zach[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks, yep it's an Adelae.
I pumped the temp up to 81*F and it seems to like it. The dew is forming a little better. I don't wanna go much higher or my other plants in the terrarium will get cranky.
At night I let it drop to around 70*F.

My little plantlets that I cut from the parent look okay so far.

Greetings,
I don't think that this sundew likes too much light. I have mine pretty much in the shade with only filtered light and they do very well. Might try lowering light levels a bit and perhaps lowering temps a tad.
Hope this helps
smile.gif

Okay well the sundew liked the higher temp & humidity but it seems to be killing one of my VFTs. I openned the terrarium a bit to let it dry off some and the sundew returned to it's unhappy look with less dew. It kinda seems that the two types of plants won't be happy in the same environment.
perhaps it's just with the Adelae because it's from Australia and the VFT is from NC.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Back