What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera adelae

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
d_adelae_a_sml.jpg

wow, that is an awesome picture, I love the vibrant orange on it, im so jealous!!!!
Kevin

Hi Joseph,

Is it just me or are all of you droseras orangish? The capillaris was quite orange compared to mine as well. Is this due to growing conditions, the lighting (when you took the pic), the camera, or is it just these plants that happen to be orange in your collection?

Nice plants though!!! Thanks for sharing the pic!

-noah

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (noah @ Dec. 07 2002,03:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it just me or are all of you droseras orangish? Is this due to growing conditions, the lighting (when you took the pic), the camera, or is it just these plants that happen to be orange in your collection?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No kidding that is a healthy plant you have. Mine is dewy but green
confused.gif
. What is you secret?

travis
smile.gif

WOW THATS really red . I just got my adelae sundew from cooks and its pure green . Yours must get lots of light to look like that.

Really nice .

I make sure there is a large amount of peat moss in the planting media and keep the plants very close to the lights. I use fluorescent lights, very close to the plants (2-4 inches)and with nothing between the plants and the lights, not even a thin sheet of plastic.

Noah,
To be honest I don't really see any orange. I do see red. Perhaps you may need to adjust your monitor some.

The plants are actually the colors that the photo shows them to be. I do not adjust the tint, I only adjust the camera for the type of light the plants are photographed in.

Must be us southern california folks - that looks really orange to me too! For us gals, the color is "coral"
wink.gif
But seriously, it's gorgeous!

The only time I ever saw a red/orange D. adelae was at California Carnivores. Very nice
smile.gif

Hmmmm.....adjusted my monitor & they still look coral color.  Really nice D. adelae
smile.gif
.  I hope mine looks like that when it grows up!!
biggrin.gif

Gorgeous! Only one of my plants are not green lol, its reddish. Theres nothin wrong with the screen people
smile.gif
, PingMan's adelae is orangy
smile.gif

Here is another pic of the same group of Drosera adelae plants taken just now outside under natural lighting and with a white background instead of a black one. It does look like I will need to be mindful of how different the plants can look when photographed under other than natural light:

d_adelae%20004_sml.jpg

These plants were not grown in a terrarium, just a 3 inch deep plastic tray with 1/2 inch of water and on shelves 3-4 inches beneath several plain, cool-white fluorescent lights for 16 hours/day photoperiod timers.

And this is even another shot of the same plant, this time with a black background and outside:

d_adelae%20009_sml.jpg

Sorry, slightly out of focus too.

OK, the So. California people can see the red now
smile.gif

Somebody seems to be converting....

Darcy,  What do you mean </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Somebody seems to be converting....  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>  
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 06 2002,7:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmmm.....adjusted my monitor & they still look coral color.  Really nice D. adelae
smile.gif
.  I hope mine looks like that when it grows up!!
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I still want mine to look that good when it grows up
wink.gif

Nicely grown Joseph. Intense light certainly makes a big difference, as does substrate. I have noticed plants grown in live sphagnum tend to be more green, even with the same good lighting. Martin has shown photos of his plant grown in full sun where the leaves are so purple they almost appear black. This plant is very variable when grown under different conditions. I would like to add that Joseph also runs a humidifier non-stop in addition to the light regimen he uses, a requirement in the typically low humidity where he lives. In my experience, this species is sensitive to low humidity.

Funny because I've seen this species sold as 'red cultivar'! Opinion seems to b divided.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I've grown a great many Drosera adelae over the past 30 years or so, some that were supposed to be "all green". For all the variation they displayed, they all may have been the exact same clone. I have yet to grow one that remains even a little green, under high light intensity. I have not yet grown one that didn't respond positively to the highter light levels by turning red. If there are any truly "different" clones of Drosera adelae I would like to grow them someday. It would also be nice if they were officially registered, so I could be a llittle more sure of just what I was growing.

I admit, I am a bit skeptical. Honestly, I would like to grow more than one clone of Drosera adelae. I wouldn't want to pay $15 for a nice large (green) 'Giant' unless I could grow it in the same media next to my other Drosera adelae and observe how it keeps its own characteristics. I could always place some of my own plants under lower light and get them to grow larger and greener.</span>

Back