What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A sundew question

G

What are the 5 largest sundews?

i think d. regia is a pretty big sundew, hence the name "king sundew". Zongyi

Yeah, I think regia is pretty big. Drosera binata is also pretty large. It is about two feet at its largest.

If it's height you're after, some of the tuberous climbing Sundews (for example Drosera macrantha [various subspecies]) from Western Australia get very tall. Here's an interesting article I found on Drosera erythrogyna:

World's Largest Sundew ?

wow.gif

biggrin.gif

maybe you should go for the cubic area the plant takes up when fully grown instead of mesering the hight or with. some drosera are pretty high but skinny... Zongyi (though measuring it in cupic area can be hard, if not impossible)

Nathaniel,

Over all size or trap size? This could make a big difference. I would definately agree that regia is one of the larger ones. Drosera gigantea can basically grow into a three foot "tree".

Drosera dichotoma giant from what i've heard also can grow rather large.

D. dicatoma 'giant' is quite a large plant. I have it and it right now is the Paul Bunyan of my Drosera collection. D. binata is just a very wide spreading floppy looking plant.

He must have mentioned D.Binata as all of the staghorn sundews
D.Binata Dichotoma"giant"

But I think they should be thought of as different species...

My Dichotoma is definately my largest plant...unless  you want to measure my N.Ventrata but I'm too lazy...

Thanks guys. Those are the plants I was thinking of in regards to trap size. I'm really trying to see where I can get a whole bunch of theese species for relatively cheap... I'm in giant sundew fever
biggrin.gif
!

Back