What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiya, got a question

Heya everyone, i just picked up my first sundew today. I went out to get another VFT and saw a sundew and thought they looked interesting. What kind of care do these guys need? Just water and light like VFT's? Do you feed them if they are indoor plants? Thanks!

Do you know what dew you got? There are different needs for different plants. If you could give us some more detail we will be better able to help you.

Steve

I can descirbe what it looks like. Just looks like 4 or so long fingers with little drops on them. sort of reddish in the middle. Small to.

You'll have to give us a bit more info than that. There is well over 150 species of Drosera around the world. What you've just described probably eliminates about half of them. That leaves another 75 or so.

Did the plant have any type of label when you bought it? What shape are the leaves? Does it sit flat on the ground? Does it grow upright?

I'd like to help but you'll need to describe the plant a bit better
biggrin.gif

Regards,

Sean.

If you could post a picture, that would help too.

SF
smile.gif

Hey, i can try to get a picture up tonight. From what you asked, it grows straight up, and there are about 4 things comming up. I didnt see any acutal leaves, just the stalks with the stickies on it. At the base of the plant, there are the same things as whats growing up, except smaller and reddish.

sumthing just sparked my mind i saw a psit labeled as a cobra lily and it was really stale soil
at target it was starting to blacken due to low humidity

i think the sundew your talking about is a d. capensis but until your more descriptive and have a pic then we'll no for sure ,a dn jmenvft , why did you post that in this forum , in this topic ? and you may have actually saw a cobra lily except of a s. psitacina because they are very simalar , or the company is making a scam on what they sell .

It could also be a d.adelae lacking enough lite.Where did you get it?

i got the sundew at lowes

The only ones I`ve seen at lowes have been lanky d.adelae so thats probably what it is. D.adelae likes semi shady conditions, wet soil,high humidity,and 40-90 degree temps.

from looking at picutres online, im almost sure that my sundew is a Drosera capensis 'Typical'

Hi Myke66,
This is what Savage Garden says on D. capensis: "Cape sundews grow best in a temperature range from fourty to eighty degrees. They are very tolerant of extremes from freezing to one hundred degrees, but only for brief periods. The plants grow year round and have no dormancy requirement. If the temperature drops below freezing, the crowns will die away but the plant will return from their roots and stems when conditions improve. Roots have been known to survive temperature drops to fifteen degrees."

I strongly urge you to post a pic of your plant for identification before you follow ANY guideline for cultivation. A misidentification could result in tragedy.

Steve

Ok, i stopped being lazy and got some pictures. They are all of the same plant, just different shots! Here ya go!
sundew.jpg

sundew21.jpg

sundew215.jpg

OK that looks similar to adelae to me, not 100% sure, but I THINK thats what it is. (If anyone knows for sure please correct me). D. adelae likes bright shade, mid-high humidity and +65 temps (great for a north or south window if you dont get too cold of a winter.) No dormancy requirement. Very hardy and forgiving newbie plant.  Mine is currently thriving in the back corner of my seedling tank.

Good luck
Steve

Yeah, I think that is an adelae. It grows the same way and the leaves are basically the same shape as one.
biggrin.gif

That's definitely a Drosera adelae that has been growing in low light conditions. The plants aren't normally as lanky as yours. It will grow nicely if you get the lighting right- (not direct sun) and the temps don't get too low over winter.

Regards,

Sean.

I hate too say it but I told you so.lol
tounge.gif

Back