What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picture attempt

Here's my first attempt at posting a pic. Not sure what variety of sundew this is but it seems to be doing ok. About 3/4 inch across.
Sundew_web.jpg

:biggrin:

its a baby drosera spathulata (mostly "Kansai" type; i have a baby one just like that). Looks great.

nice picture!!!!! is it yours?

This is the sundew that came with the kit I bought. I took the photo with a Nikon Coolpix 800. Love my digital camera.
smile.gif

actually ceph, I believe spatulata usually has "tentacles" extending almost all the way to the base. I looks like a capillaris to me, or maybe intermedia though I doubt it. Tamlin, any ideas??

Noah

Intermedia was my first thought, then again, I don't know if maybe baby spathulata don't develope tentacles all the way down the leaf until they are older.

Its definatley not Intermedia! Intermedia has its leafstalks held upright and the blade is more elongated than that. I think The plant is either Spathulata or Natalensis.

Same here. I definetly think it is a small D.Spathulata. You could have another type of rosseted sundew also. It is just hard to tell while it is still so small.

My D. Spat..(kansia) does not look like that, like noah said there stems are more compact in the middle of the plant, so dont kno i wish icould have my pics developed by now
sad.gif

just thought iwould have my word in

well, my baby spathulata (grwon from seed) looks exactly like that. I got the seeds from my own spathulata. just my two centz

Juvenille forms are hard to diagnose. If I had to come up with a guess, it would be spatulata kansai. Give it a couple of months and post another photo. I might tell more from the stipules then, when they develop. BTW I consider spatulata kansai to be a species in it's own right: Drosera tokiensis, unless we are going to start calling Drosera anglica Drosera rotundifolia x linearis. The same criteria apply to both these "hybrids". Besides, this way there is one less spatulata to deal with!

I think it might be easier to ID now... it's matured in the past month and a half.

Sundew2_web.jpg

Also here is a pic of some babies coutesy of Tamlin Dawnstar.

Baby_dews_web.jpg

I think it is a Drosera Rotundifolia .

i thikn its D. spatulata or intermedia

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from tuyen thi on 6:44 pm on May 3, 2002
I think it is a Drosera Rotundifolia .
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
definitely NOT

I have plants that look just like that, and are suposed to be spathulata. Also, check out petflytrap's catalog. They have pictures of spathulata.

This plant is Drosera spatulata "Kansai" form, a.k.a. Drosera toukiensis, a hybrid of rotundifolia x spatulata which is fertile. It is found in a limited range in Japan. This is one of the largest of the spatulata complex if grown well, and with good light gets a beautiful coloration.

Back