What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata

I have a binata and although plenty healthy and trowing up a huge 2' flower, he doesn't look like others I have seen. There is virtually no support for his limbs. They just kind of grow out and down, not upwards. I have put a few against a screen on the windowsill he is on, but all the other limbs are just growing like a vine on the sill. My wife loves him because of all the flies it catches, but I wonder if it shouldn't be supported in some manner??

Hi,

most of my Drosera binata are doing the same things (binata, var multifida, x 'Marston Dragon&#39
wink.gif
, and the leaves tend to bend and not to stay upright. But the only times I saw my forked sundews standing proudly upright is when I put them outside for the summer. It must be the wind stress, but this phenomenon 'harden' the petioles (I'm not sure of the word in english... let's call it the leaves stalk
wink.gif
) and these plants (the ones who spent all summer on the pic-nic table) where the most spectacular binatas I've ever grown!

D. binata seem to scramble more in lower light conditions. I feel this is a reaction to growing in the wild for if there is not a lot of light they grow longer scrambleing leaves to get up through the scrub shading them. They then rely on this scrub to support them.

Different plants also grow differently. I have 2 (OK, more then 2) var. multifidas, one grows more upright and the other just hangs everywhere in a thick tangled mess.

The most upright and "in your face" form I have found to be var. dichotoma "giant", this is a great plant!

George

maybe I'll acclimate him outside, but as you may have read, the squirrels in my area are bad, and hit another vft the other day. I need to take out a few more squirrels before risking one of my favorite cps...

mcrwt644, my Binata's leaves...if you can call them that...hang down also, about 18" from the crown. They were sticking to every other plant I have...soooo I made it into a hanging basket and hung it from my awning. It loves the location, morning and evening sun only, and has reduced the neighborhood flying inscet population by about half.
smile.gif

Jan, that is a really good Idea. I don't know how much my wife will like me taking "her" plant away, but oh well, that will give me a better reason to buy more drosea!

Back