What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis seedlings suck

fre8train

BANNED
I sprouted these seeds a month or two ago and now they are growing so slow that I think the conditions are in suffice. I still have the seeds in a germination tray with a humidity dome. They are on the floor under the skylight. My VFT likes to be four feet under the skylight where it gets more light do you think that the capensis need to be closer to the light in order to grow faster. The seedlings are about the size of a pencil eraser head. any tips or help please

Capensis seeds?  Why bother with those, when you can get a Capensis anywhere?  I have literally hundreds of capensis that I would rather not have.  Anyway, some of my dear capensis are growing outside with lows that currently go down into the low 40's F, and some are inside that rarely goes below 70 F.  So, go figure?  

If your VFT grows well, and your seedlings don't, your seedlings are the problem, not your growing conditions.

-Homer

Hi Fr8train,
I have found that capensis seedlings don't grow very fast myself. If they are healthy, then don't worry, just be patient. That said, this is a light loving species in general. I would try increasing the light a little to see if there is any improvement. Also, You may want to slowly remove the humidity dome over the course of a week or two, so the seedlings can acclimate to normal humidity conditions. That way your adult plants won't be too fussy.

Many Drosera species are far slower in growth than D. capensis! You need patience to be able to grow this genus of plants. Seed sown by me last Spring of some Brasillian taxa are just now germinating, and plants close to a year old remain seedling sized. Count your blessings, LOL.

Really? I find capensis grows super fast.  I find some stray half inch plants in my pots, a month later they're 2 inches tall, and I have to pluck em out  
tounge.gif

Thanks I shall move up the plants due to there light loving species and also acclimate them to having no humidity dome.
Maby mine will grow a inch and a half a month, and I will treat them like weeds too one day ( give them to newbies) like I got them
Homer if I shouldent bother than send out somthing that I should bother with here is my adress
503 Whiting El Segundo Ca 90245

fre8train,

What do you need? Do you have a growlist available?

-Homer

Larry,
You're right, but the problem is the time it takes for them to get to 1/2 inch! No kidding, that's like some sort of breaking point for them when they explode into growth...weird. At least for me.

Sweet I shall be waiting for a explosion of growth, That sounds the best yet.

THanks everybody they love the extra lumins

Back