What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reproducing drosera

hey i have a Drosera capensis and i want to make it reproduce more i have already separated about 8 small plants which grew from the roots...
are there any other ways to reproduce it?
and how....

The other ways are from seed,leaf cuttings,and root cuttings.Tamlin can explain these way better then me so I will leave it up to her
wink.gif

I thought it was very difficuilt to do leaf cuttings with D.capensis?

Wait which Drosera are you talking about??  D. capillaris or D. capensis?

Hi,

Leave cuttings work very well for capensis and capillaris. These are two of the easier species to propagate, because nearly everything you do will result in new plants. For Leafcuttings, simply cut a leaf off an place it on very wet soil with the tentacles upward. A few weeks later you will have some new plants emerging from the leaf. It also works well, if you just put the leaves in destilled water.

For rootcuttings, you can simply cut a part of the roots. Drosea capensis is not very sensitive concerning the roots. Now put them into a pot and cover them with soil. Now you just have to wait.

The simples way is still propagating by seeds. If your plants flower, there is nothing to do to get seeds. You will have an enormous amount of them. Fresh seeds germinate very easily.

Christian

Pondboy,

Tamlin is a he not a she, and he agrees with all that Christian has said, lol.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pond boy @ Sep. 23 2003,7:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The other ways are from seed,leaf cuttings,and root cuttings.Tamlin can explain these way better then me so I will leave it up to her
wink.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Pondboy! 'she' is a HE! I tought you would have known that since he also is known as "king of hte sundews"
tounge.gif

thx eceryone im talking bout D capenisis len
some questions:
usually the leaf just dries up into black marsh within a few days...how do i prevent this?
alsomust i water root cuttings? also how much root must i take?

wezx,
When you do a leaf cutting, make sure the leaf stays in contact with the peat. It should not dry up that quickly. To slow down the drying of the peat, just cover the top of the container with a clear lid or stretch plastic wrap over it. I like plastic wrap since the wife seems to get upset for some reason when I try to punch holes in the lids to her containers
wink.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif

Oh,so sorry it`s just tamlin soundslike a girls name.
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh,so sorry it`s just tamlin soundslike a girls name. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

If you say so dude, it was never a question to me but that he was a guy. Personally I think Tamlin Dawnstar is a pretty cool name!

SF

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pond boy @ Sep. 28 2003,12:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Please don`t call me dude.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
dont see anything wrong with him calling you dude
confused.gif

his real name is william dawnstar. That should clear a few things up
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

Ok,I see. Oh,and theire realy isn`t a problem with snowy calling me "dude" it`s just I don`t care to be called dude lol
wink.gif

I think a dude was a guy from "Out East" so I guess I am a dude since I am in NY. As for the King of the Dews thing I will gracefully ignore that nonsense.

My favorite method to reproduce Drosera is to sever leaves and submerge them in small glasses of purified water. It usually only takes a couple of weeks and the leaves are then covered with small plantlets which can be removed and potted up with their minute root system and all. If you are often short for time or space as I am, then the plantlets thus formed can be held like this for an extended length of time. I have done it for at least 6 months on several occassions with no loss of plantlets previously formed. It works with nearly all parts of Drosera binata plants, flower stalks and flower buds included. Not letting them dry out and giving them strong light seems essential to the success of this technique. I've even had success using this method with Drosera regia leaves, though they took more than a month to form plantlets. The Drosera regia I provided Tamlin was propagated using this method.

do you mean you put the whole leaf in the water?

Yes, or whichever portion of it you are using as your propagation material. Following are two photos I just took to illustrate this process.

d_California_Sunset_float_propagation.jpg

d_madagascariensis_float_propagation.jpg

thx alot ill try that

also can i use that method on seeds or roots?

Back