Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Curious question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Just a quick question. Does anyone know the effects of freezing seeds that require a cold peroid in the fridge? I was looking at a swamp the other day and noticed how everything was frozen solid and wondered if freezing the seeds would better simulate the way they would be effected by winter.

any answers to this would be much apperciated
    Thanks
    Ktulu
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some indications that this might well be the case for some species, but not for others. I am sure that a few freezes at least "ripens" most temperate species seed. Also seed of D. uniflora, D. stenopetala and D. arcturi would also benefit from a freeze (the question being: how long a freeze?). For many other species, it would be overkill: most of the tropicals show good germination sown fresh or with a brief period of stratification in the fridge.

I generally sow the temperate seed at the tail end of winter. The seed has been through a long "dry strat". I then sow this seed on moist mix, and keep the pots as cool as possible. When the days are in the 40/50's but the nights still have frost, I place the pots outside where the natural cycles can work on the seed, in a protected spot where the rain can't reach. If there has been no previous germination, this usually does the trick, if the seed was viable to begin with.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

what about D. rotundifolia? My seed isn't germinating and I did put it in the refrigerator, but thats a plant native to my home and we are very frozen in winter, should I freeze my left over seed and try again?

There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

Since D. rotundifolia seed usually falls out in the fall, it lies wet for awhile before freezing. Why not put the whole pot into the freezer for awhile and see if that triggers the germination after returning the pot to culture? Almost like mother nature!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Okay, thanks. I'll do that when I go home for spring break.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for answering my questoin, D. rotundifolia was one of the speices that i was thinking about. Maybe i will try freezing it and see if any of them decide that they might like to actully grow.

Thanks again,
    Ktulu
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut