What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera miniata

I have three miniatas all potted up in a very sandy/rocky mixture, including peat of course...
tounge.gif

I think thats right pygmies...

Anyways, aside from good light, tray watering (as not flood the plant itself), is there anything special? Its still alive, so i'm guessing I'm doing OK, but i'de like to do better. How high humidity does it need?

Oh. I heard tht to get the gemmae out in the fall you hold the pot upside down... How do I do this without dumping the contents, and thereby crushing the plants with a falling ball of peat and rocks?

Thanks alot!
Greg

miniata is a pygmy. It can be cared for like a regualr pygmy, it doesnt require alot of humidity, but it should be watered whenever it looks dry. It can do well on a windowsill. to get gemmae out, hold the pot over and if the soil is loose, hold parts of the soils with ur fingers.

Don't forget to pick off any common green moss near them with tweezers, they can really outgrow the plant and cause trouble in a matter of days ;(

Greg,

I dont have D. miniata, but a few other species and they aren't fussy about the humidity.

I have used two ways to remove gemmae. Either tilted the pot and used a tooth pick to tease the gemmae from the plants, but since my plants rarely produce gemmae (and if I do in it's in small quantities) I usually use a small paint brush that is wetted and the gemmae sticks to it. Its a tedious method, but excellent when you want good control especially during the planting of the gemmae.

Regards,

Christer

Here are the plans for a gemmae vacume cleaner I got from a grower in Australia. Tale a mason jar with screw on lid. Punch 2 holes large enough to fit a length of rubber/plastic tubing through.. Through 1 hole insert a length of tubing or straw so that the end inside the jar is not touching the bottom. It only needs to extend a short way into the jar. Cover the end of the tube with a small piece of nylon stocking. You will suck through this straw. The stocking will keep you from eating the gemmae. The other hole is for a length of tubing that will act as a vacume cleaner hose does. Suck through the straw, and use the end of the other tube to vacume out the gemmae by gently teasing the center of the rosette. When you have a lot of gemmae to remove (and it should be removed for the health of the plant) this is the only way to go!

Thanks Tamlin
biggrin.gif
I will try this method, as it took about half a day last year to remove the gemmae off my 80+ D.xLake B's.

Back