Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. bulbosa quick to flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

In late January I sowed some D. bulbosa ssp. bulbosa which germinated in March. Today I noticed that one of them has sent up a flower. From what I understand most tuberous sundews take some time (years) before they are mature enough to flower, so it was a pleasant surprise to see a flower at this time.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some species take up to five years to reach flowering size. I find that your germination of the seed is just as remarkable! I have tried various methods, but can't seem to find one that works. Bulbosa is a reluctant germinator to say the least! Congratulations on your remarkable feat, I do believe you have a green thumb!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They didn't went dormant during summer ?
    They germinated well ?
    They are flowering after 8 months ?

Are you sure that it IS(&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Drosera bulbosa ?

Look here fo some pictures in antural habitat :
    http://www.cephalotus.net/Pgaller....us+Flat

this is my Drosera bulbosa ssp. major which didn't flower yet

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you guys have a young, maybe around seedling size tuberous dew go dormant and have it survive? Its maybe a tuberous sundew novice problem, but all the tuberous seedlings i had went dormant and never came back up. Any tips?
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Although my plants still are relatively small they appear to be this species. The seed was acquired from Allen Lowrie as D. bulbosa ssp. bulbosa ĎEl Caballo Blancoí. I only got two to germinate and one of them waited until summer to do it. The plant that is about to flower (yes, eight month after germination) didnít go dormant this summer. One nice trait of this plant is that the undersides of the leaves have a beautiful orange color. I also got seed of some other tuberous species at the same time and all of them have grown through the summer too.

Since my plants havenít gone dormant so far I canít give any advice on how to care for them to get them to return after dormancy.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey christerb how did you do it? what temps were they in what kind of light did you have them in and what soil medium? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joel,

I used both smoke and GA3 treatment before sowing the seed. Of the 6 species that I sowed 5 have germinated so far; bulbosa, aff. tubaestylis, menziesii, microphylla and platypoda. All are in a soil mix consisting of two parts sand to one part peat moss and the pots were placed (and still are) in plastic bags. The first D. menziesii and D. microphylla started to germinate in late February, followed by bulbosa in March and aff. tubaestylis in early June. The pots were kept indoors until June when they were moved outside. Since they were bagged I kept them out of the sun. When the night temps stared to dip down in September I moved them inside again. D. platypoda started to germinate in October. Temps indoor: between 65-73 d F. Outdoor: between 50-84 with occasional dips down to 40 d F in late fall. Right now they are kept under fluorescent light bulbs. Bulbosa and tubaestylis is under two 30 W and the others are under two 18 W. All the bulbs have clip-on reflectors and the plants are 6-8 inches below them.

BTW, the bulbosa flower opened today. Nice but it didn't open up completly and it had six petals. I still took some photos of it.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing...

all of my tuberous Drosera and all of my t.D. seedlings are going dormant during summer. I even kept pots with Drosera auriculata moist year around and in a cold place during summer and they still made tubers and came back in autumn.

I'm also wondering about tuberous Drosera germinating during summer ? Propably a side-effekt of the gibberelin acid (seedlings of Roridula dentata treated with GA3 behave different to seedlings not treated) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

I wish you good luck...
    Happy growing
    Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast