What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting

What kind of lighting system should i use when growing my sundews?
1. type of light
2. distance from light
any help?

Lighting should be as bright as possible and as close as possible: I use (8) 40 watt flourescents 6 inches above my tropical plants which are in a 50 gallon terrarium. I mix them, but usually they run 1 coolwhite to 1 balanced spectrum. This is just enough light for what I consider to be typical good growth and coloration, but the set up is not optimal. The best effects (color and compact growth) come from placing the plant within a few inches of the lights with nothing in between, as can be seen in Pinguiculaman's posted photos. I grow my pygmy droserae very close to the tubes: within an inch or 2. Most droserae require as much light as cacti for good growth and color.

On my 20 gal fish tank I use 1 shop light that has 2 - 40 watt cool flourescent bulbs,One 30 watt fish tank flourescent light, And one Compact flourescent light thats 40 warm white watts .All the lights but the compact are 12 inches above the plants. I keep the compact 6 inches away.

So far I am growing the cape sundew, adelae sundew and  spathulata sundew and there all doing great . Out of them all the cape is the star of my tank.

If you going to keep a low light tank with out many lights I hear Adelae is a good low light sundew to go with.

_-West-_

Back