What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosea aliciae problems

I've had my D. aliciae for the past 3 years. Only untill recently it has started to produce flower stalks. This is my problem. My flower stalks never reach flowering height. The stalk always dies after it reaches more than 1 inch in height. Has anyone had this problem or would know why this happens?
-Doug Meriwether

Hey Doug,
Welcome to the forums! Can you give us a little more info on the set up you have the 'dew in? Light, humidity, temp, soil, etc.

Yeah, a little more info is needed. What do the stalks look like when they start to decline? If the tips are getting brown, or looks like the flower may have dried up before it bloomed, it's probably humidity. Actually...it sounds like humidity anyway. The other things wouldn't be fun.

I had a similar thing happen to a D. binata. But that was because the plant was in a 10 gallon tank with a lid, and the flower scape was over a foot above the tank.
tounge.gif
Too much of a humidity difference.

It is in my brightist window of the house. The humidity is pretty average around 60% or more. It has been thriving in it current location for the past two years so I don't understand why it does produce healthy flowerstalks. I do notice, however, that it does not capture the same amount of insects as my cape sundews do.
-Doug Meriwether

The flowerstalk dies after it reaches 1 inch, and I know that they produce stalks as heigh as 1 foot. It starts to die right behind the sprial of the growing stem.
-Doug Meriwether

Doug, you have me stumped. I have my aliciae growing in tanks, with about the same humidity (one is actually outside on the deck), and they're ok. However, only one has sent up a scape, which had sucked all the life out of the plant!
sad.gif
The darn thing has turned WHITE on me.

Yeah, mine are outside in the wide open getting at least 12 hours of direct sun a day. The humidities all sorts of crazy.

Hmm, wait...wait...window sill...is it sitting dry or in a dish?

The flowers tend to be a bit more delicate than the plant. The leaves themselves have to survive for the plant to, but the flower only needs to survive for the species, not the specific plant.

I'd try increasing the humidity around the plant, try to make it nice and comfy when it's flowering...just skip the ice chips.
tounge.gif

Being in the brightest window (which direction is it facing btw?) could also contribute to it, but, increasing humidity should counter it a little bit.

I haven't given up yet.
wink.gif

It might be the humidity, but the light levels may also be part of the problem. Drosera are high light plants. If no supplemental light is given, and there is not 4-5 hrs. direct hard sun reaching them, there might not be enough available energy to support flowering.

Light is a major factor for the survival of a flower. My potted terria drosera used to pot up so many stalks at a time, i had to cut them down to stop the spread of baby dews! When i later stopped the use of lights, the plants did well, but the flowers did the same as you said, kinda died down. I know have them back on lights for all my dew tanks.

PS: does your flowerstalks have a hairly, mold on it before it dies? Or is the tip just black and it dies?

Good luck-Zach

Wow, Here I am, reading this post for the heck of it, and I figure out why my mexican pings flower staulks keep aborting. It's the LIGHT! Wow, I feel better now, I was going nuts trying to get the humidity higher on that thing, lol.

Back