What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard question?

Hi, all

My Drosera are in a greenhouse where it is necessary for other plants to mist several times a week.

How much energy does it cost Drosera to form new dewdrops after they are washed off?

Should I put pots or something over them before irrigation?

Thanks
Tim

It would be good to cover them, but can you possibly move them to an area where there is less spraying? I have never sprayed my plants, so I dont know the effects. A small amount will probably not hurt them. Which ones are they? if they are d.capensis or a similar species, they should bounce back.

Cole

Hi Tim

I don't think a little misting will hurt your plants. You have to remember these plants naturally grow outdoors and get rained on. So that "washing" is natural. I think it would depend on how often and how heavily you mist. A little misting a few times a week shouldn't hurt. But not several heavy misting ever day.

Always bear in mind how and where these plants grow in their natural habitat. That should give you an idea on their care. Every time they get rained on, they will lose some "dew" but will make more.

Suzanne

Thanks, Suzanne, that's just the thing that concerns me. Heavy misting 3 times a week doen't happen in temperate environments.

I have been to the ABG many time and know that they have their 'dew in the greenhouses being misted every day to no ill effect. Yours should be fine

Thanks, Pyro.

My pleasure.
smile.gif

Another thought, if you have taller plants (Sarrs or Neps) you could place the 'dews around them so that they are "sheltered"

Regarding the misting: I have grown many species of Drosera completely underwater for days with no ill effect, and as has been noted, rain does not harm them. But keep in mind, this was in outdoor conditions where maximum light and good air circulation produced very strong plants. Indoors, especially in terrarium culture, these same wet conditions can quickly promote fungal growth which can attack the plants and cause them to appear reddish, listless and without dew. This type of fungal attack is not otherwise visable: nothing shows on the soil. Occasional spraying will not harm them, but long term exposure without air circulation is not advisable.

I note that it takes 2 days for them to get their dew back, and I figured that it costs energy to reproduce it. Thanks for the answers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tim @ Jan. 13 2003,9:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks, Suzanne, that's just the thing that concerns me. Heavy misting 3 times a week doen't happen in temperate environments.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Have you been to Michigan in the spring o_O

Back