What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow, I got my sundew seeds from Tamlin today! I am attempting to germinate the spatulata already. But all the sundew seeds are sooo tiny! I had no idea they would be as small as grains of sand! So I was almost lost as to how to begin. I took a toothpick and wet it just enough so that some seeds would stick to it and brushed the toothpick over the surface of the potting mix. I maybe have about 10 seeds spread around in there somewhere (a large mouth 6 inch pot). I'm not going to have over-crowding now, am I?

Any germination, growth and care tips anyone can offer for any of the following?

d. spatulata
d. intermedia
d. burmanii
d. peltata (spelling?)
d. dielsiana (spelling?)

Your spelling looks right to me. I usually go to Carnivorous Plant Database when I want to verify spelling. You should capitalize the "D" in D. peltata, etc.

Ok, so here's what I've done with 3 of the species:

spatulata, peltata and intermedia cuba:

scattered a few of the seeds over a wet peat/sand mix. Tray is full of water and I stretched plastic wrap over the top of all 3 pots and put them into the terrarium. The spatulata are spread in a 6 inch pot, and the others are spread on a 3 inch pot. I plan on transplanting into 4 inch or larger once they sprout into plantlets.

does this all sound right?
confused.gif

Would I be able to do the same with the remaining species?
confused.gif

Sounds good from what little I know. I'm getting my first seeds soon too
biggrin.gif
how long did you wait befor yours arrived? I'm so excited about mine!

Mine actually got here quite quickly. I think about 2 1/2 weeks from the day I mailed out my request, and I live in Canada!
smile.gif
Pretty excited, hope to see something soon!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (carniverous newbie @ Sep. 25 2002,11:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mine actually got here quite quickly. I think about 2 1/2 weeks from the day I mailed out my request, and I live in Canada!
smile.gif
Pretty excited, hope to see something soon![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I'll go buggy by then, but oh well. I'll just keep sprucing up my new patches of sphagnum for when they get here. I'm getting seeds from three people, so hopefully one lives close
smile.gif

They'll get there! That 2 1/2 weeks is also taking into account the amount of time it took for my request envelope to get there. So it was pretty quick, although yeah, I was quite excited and impatient too! I just planted the rest of them. So in such little time as I've been collecting CP's, I've collected 7 varieties of drosera and 3 varieties of vft's! Still want pitcher plants and butterworts!
smile.gif

I did mt spatulata seeds like that (no plastic wrap, but they are in a terrarium). It took about 4 weeks, but now I have several itsy bitsy teeny weeny seedings (two even have dew&#33
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Back