What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spatulata look alikes?

Okay, so I was stupid and lost the list of sundew seeds I planted in october.  I'm 98% sure the only ones to grow are all D. spatulata, but not positive.  Are their any other sundew that are common and look a lot like this spiecies that I may have mixed in?  It's hard to tell because they all look different from each other, but sort of the same too. o_O talk about learning the hard way.

This will be an excellent lesson for you, both in the need to accurately record and maintain records of your plants (&#33
wink.gif
and as an introduction to the taxonomy of Drosera species.

Your question has no easy answer. To most people that do not grow CP, all droserae look alike. As familiarity and experience are gained, the differences become more immediately apparent (although visual differences don't imply different species). Drosera spatulata has many different forms, but all these are only spatulata as far as botany is concerned. If you have several forms mixed, the determinations will be very problematical.

If you can provide a list of possibilities, I might be able to help you figure out which are which, although in many cases this won't be possible until the plant flowers: juvenille plants are difficult to assess.

I should point out that a number of these misidentified plants often turn out to be D.tokaiensis (formerly "spatulata Kansai")and not spatulata. A list of the false ID's is never a good indicator - photos of samples should be provided or the result can be more confusion. Speaking of which, I have a "D.sp.Auyan Tepui" which I wrote off a while ago as something spatulata, but it's finally produced long narrow leaves unlike spatulata so I am in doubt right now. Doesn't look enough like true arenicola, which I am now happy to grow, but I am still having a hard time accepting it as something from Auyan. Unlike other sp. Auyan's out there, it's not tokaiensis - that's for sure.
smile.gif

Um, I don't know what type of spatulata they are, the lable wasn't spesific. Lets see, a list, well, they were all common spiecies. I had Capensis, Aliciae, Adelae and Spatulata, I believe. I also had Rotundifolia, but I don't think I planted it. Fundimentally, they all look alike, but some are a bit "lighter" in build and a few have a couple of tenticals along the petiol part of the leaf insted of just at the tip.

Of corse, I did learn my lesson and am excessive with my ID stuff, lol.

Hi Darcie,
 Most of those will be easy to tell apart from each other once they get larger.
smile.gif
 Until then the seedlings will pretty much all look alike. The tough part will be identifying and separating say two different forms of spatulata.  For that you may have to wait until they flower to get good ID on them.

well, thats what I figured, and I have no clue what type of spatulata they are, but they look pritty adultish right now. They all have a good number of branching adult leaves... but my one consern is they are not rossetted like I see in photos, is that a winter thing or a varent thing?

Back