What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the BACPS meeting today (feb 2) and i found one of the most sought after drosera for sale:D.schizandra for &#3615 bucks! I bought it immediatly. I will try to produce more for any of u guys if u want any. i also picked up D.madasgascerine "botswana" they had everything for sale:Genlisea, rare sarracenia like orephila "sand mountain", various pings, etc

Sarracenia Oreophila "Sand Mountain" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sob..sob...sob..sob...sob!
sad.gif
I wish I went to that meeting. Of course I don't think I could have got there from NY! I would have bought that Sarracenia in a heart beat no matter what the price!!!!

Hi Zach,

Glad you got what you wanted. I also have madagascariensis 'botswana', quite a nifty plant. I have oreophylla, but not 'sand mountain', I have a reddish variety.

Noah

P.S. I would be interested in some shizandra if you manage to propogate it, and I should have some other nice droseras to trade by then. The ping arrived today, Thanks!!

Hi Zach,
D.schizandra is quite a rare plant. If you could produce more to trade with the cp community(including me) that would be great!
Now I wish I live close enough to attend that BACP meeting.
Anyways, I've heard that D.schizandra is much harder to grow than D.adelae. Does anyone know if this is true?

the schizandra is popping up smaller plants from its roots, so in time i will have plenty for trade. Yea, "snad mountain"..i shoulda got it..but some one reserved it from peter (d'amato). I also heard sxhizandra is harder then adelae, but its relatively grown the same. I grow it in live shagnum (it was bought like that), in terrium, shaded sun light, and in a saucer of water (not 2 much or root rot) wish me luck-Zach
smile.gif

I want S.Oreophila "Sand Mountain"!!! Does anyone know a place in NY to get one? Or Florida? I will be going there in April for a vacation.

Properly , Sarracenia oreophila is a C.I.T.E.S. protected plant, and may not be sold or traded, only given as a gift. Often a politely worded request to a commercial grower of these plants will secure a free plant, as they reproduce but have no commercial value, if ethics are in place, that is!

Re; Drosera schizandra: this plant although related to D. adelae is MUCH less forgiving than it's sister. I strongly recommend that you allow the plant to adjust fully to it's new growing conditions before attempting any cuttings. I know growers who have lost this species simply by moving it from an accustomed spot. Live sphagnum is the way to go, but keep it in a loose mound: the plant will thread it's way up into the moss as both grow, and the shoots will come out the side of the mound. It MUST have 80-100% humidity and NO sun. Keep the water as pure as possible, it readily succumbs to fungus attack. The plant grows in dim forest conditions, unlike many Drosera. Under good cultivation I have seen leaves as large as a grapefruit. This plant is "rare" due to being so unforgiving, once it's growth becomes compromised, it quickly declines. Best of luck with this one, the CP community sure could use more of these plants!

How the heck do you get a S.Oreophila"Sand Mountain" as a gift! Someone has to buy it first! Or do you trade for them?

Nep G,

This is how to get one as a gift. First, find American growers of Sarracenia, both private and commercial, get their email addys and write a polite and intelligent letters expressing : 1) your interest in this species 2) your desire to acquire it 3)reassure them you have the skill to grow it by researching the cultural requirements and show them you know them by giving some of the info. back to them. Mention similar species you are having success with. 4) ask them how they are growing the plant, and what they think of your plan to grow it under your conditions, and state those conditions. 5) mention to them that you know the plant may not be sold or traded due to regulations
6)ask if they would consider you for a small division, or seeds,or if they could refer you to such a source if they cannot help you.

If you get a refusal, don't be discouraged, and repeat this process with the next grower, and the next. The plant is rare in habitat, but not necessairly in cultivation, and because it may not be sold OR traded, it will only spread by gifting. Those that love something truly will want to share it, not hoard it!

I am amazed that the L.A.C.P.S. was able to sell this plant at all, perhaps they have permissions not granted to other growers?

The plant was not always so regulated and at sometime in the past was offered for sale. Lets hope this is how it was acquired originally. The alternative is that it was taken from an already endangered habitat. Oreophila has been shrinking in it's range for a long time, which is why the reguations regarding it's sale and trade are so important.
It is not acceptable for any grower, private or commercial to break these rules, and I feel that you should refuse any offers to sell or trade for this plant.

Tamlin,
You mean the BACPS not the LACPS, right? I haven't seen any oreophilas at the LACPS.

Well anyone know someone I could ask?
On this forum maybe! :cheesy:

nep g, if you want one, y not visit california? U can go to california carnivores and chose any plant you want! U might also find some hard to get ones like............................S.rosea, etc.

Yeah! Next time it is time for another vacation I'lll go there! My family wants to go to FL in April so that's where I'm headed for vacation this year.
sad.gif
But it is FL so maby I'll see some wild stands of Other Sarracenia! But does ANYONE KNOW ANYONE IN FL THAT HAS THIS CP FOR SALE,TRADE,ETC.

hey nep g, y not try Lee's Botanical Garden?

Yeah Ceph 88 I'll check those out. Thx. Nep.G.

Drosera schizandra :

Keep the humidity very high but the plant NEEDS some air circulation !
The plant grows best in bright(!) light, but does not like direct sun.
It also doesn't respond very well to high temperatures, mine grow fine under tropical highland conditions.
Don't feed your plant !!!
Because the plant tends to rot...

Living sphagnum overgrows my plants so I use dead sphagnum with more success (I don't have long time experience here) .

Leaf cuttings are very easy and produce several new plants.

Martin

ah, a picture :)
<a href="http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/Dr_schizandra01.jpg

and" target="_blank">http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/Dr_schizandra01.jpg

and</a> some young plants propagated by leaf cuttings (I got three similar pots of young plants from one ! leaf)
http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/Dr_schizandra02.jpg

Back