What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. slackii

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
So one of these guys fell into my hands and I am looking for consensus on how I am growing it. The grower I got it from indicated that it is a bit tempermental.

I have it in pure live/LF sphag in a 4" pot. Temps flux from 65-80, 12 hr photocycle.

Sound reasonable?

Pyro,

It sounds pretty good to me for the most part. I have not had any for a while, but it grew better in LF shpagnum then in peaty mixes for me. It is highland in nature, so the dip to 65 at night should be ideal. Maybe a longer photo period. I don't have a map in front of me, but a 12 hr photoperiod is equatorial and they are from below the equator.

Regards,

Joe

I grow slackii in a mix of LFS, and the last 1/3 of the pot is a mix of peat/perlite. It is really easy to care for, if you keep temps kinda cool, maybe the highs in the 70's in my experience, but it can take lower and higher temps for a short period of time. They kinda lose dew if too hot, so you will know whats optimal for it.

Mine is thriving in the standard 50/50 mix. I keep in tray watering, and cool. Like Zach says, it will let you know, losing dew and color where conditions are not to its liking. I really like this species!

Thank you gentelmen for all the assistance. Considering it seems to appreciate it a bit cooler I may make this one of the ones I rotate out onto the patio during the day.

Back