Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D. menziesii ssp. menziesii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

today was a sunny day and three flowers of my Dr. menziesii ssp. menziesii opened at a time:

[img]http://home.**********.com/joachim/Dr_menziesii_0203_B.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Can you self the flowers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely beautiful !
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderfull Joachim. Congrats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos! Mass flowering is always nice, since most of the species only open one at a time per day, if that. I've had D. montana var. montana provide me with 3 open flowers, as well as D. natalensis, and I always take a million or so scans when it happens!

Joachim, how tall are your plants? This is my first season with this species and I am very curious about all aspects of its culture, and most importantly what the best plan is for summer dormancy. Should I remove the tuber after the plant goes dormant? Since I have been told the rosettes must dry off slowly, I was wondering if this process will happen naturally with the warmer weather, or should I encourage the plant by gradually reducing the watering over the course of a few weeks? I grow D. peltata and auriculata without difficulty, but I understand these are wetter growing species, and I keep them moist all year. Is D. menziesii ssp menziesii more sensitive to wetness?

Another question is, how long would you say your plants are in active growth? My plant started very late in the season, so I hope to get an idea of the approximate growing season length, and try to keep it in active growth that long using a short day photoperiod if needed.

I love growing new plants! Thanks in advance for any information.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi William,

this plant is about 25cm in height, but not grown too good this year. Light levels were low in December and January, so the plant got somewhat too long. I do grow it at a south-facing window without artificial light. It is only my second year with Dr. menziesii, so I can't really add much cultural advice. My plant did die back at the end of growth season last year by its own and I did let the pot dry out completely (like I did with D. auriculata). In november my patience was completely used up and I had to water the pot, even though no sign of growth was apparent that time... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] When the pot was dry during summer I did check the tuber, which has a nice red colour and was only about 5mm in diameter.

[img]http://home.**********.com/joachim/Dr_menziesii_0502.jpg[/img]

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

oh how cute, the picture should be posted somewere so we can point to it when people ask about tuberious dews... I have to remember to get some shots of VFT rhysomes(sp?) too now that I think about it.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've grown D. menziesii ssp. menziesii for four seasons now and have found it very vigorous under my conditions, full sun in a cool conservatory (min. temp. 7C.). I started with two established plants and now have 14 in the same pot. I guess it's probably time to dig out the tubers this summer and swap some. My plants, along with many other of my Drosera (including the pygmies, some of which set very few gemmae), suffered from from the lack of light in N. Europe during the first half of the winter too. They have picked up now though and several of the plants are about 20cm and starting to form their flower buds.

Along with the rest of my modest tuberous Drosera collection, I feed my plants every couple of weeks with a light spray of dilute foliar feed (1/4 strength Phosphogen Acid Fertilizer). I do this as there are virtually no insect prey available to my plants in winter, and the plants seem to respond well to it. I don't know if this brand is available in the US, but I guess something like dilute Miracid would be suitable alternative.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.