User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any growing/germinating tips for...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I decided to sow some seed last night. Anyone know if there's anything I should pay attention to for the following:

D. glabripes
    D. sessilifolia
    D. banksii - Finnis River, NT
    D. broomensis
    D. kaieteurensis
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a nice assortment of seeds, I hope they all prove to be true species for you!

Standard germination protocol will serve for D. sessilifolia, D. glabripes, and D. kaieteurensis (the latter is a frequently misidentified species in collections) 50/50 sand/peat.

D. banksii might require smoke of GA3 stratification, and generally cool conditions. Gritty sand/peat 70/30. Winter growing.

D. broomensis is best sown when the soil medium can be kept at least 70F day and night. It is a heat loving species.
    LFS/pearlite/laterite 50/25/25 or 50/50 LFS/pearlite.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tamlin, it means a lot coming from the king of dews. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

So...D. sessilifolia, D. glabripes, and D. kaieteurensis it's the standard...D. broomensis is in a room that's almost 80 constantly...if it wants more heat...I got a light with a nice hot ballast for it...as far as D. banksii...hmm, one day i'll get some GA3 and get more seed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Hey, if I burn a bunch of sphagnum in front of a dehumidifier, would I get something like smoke water? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] I'll keep it away from the D. broomensis area.

Hmm, would D. indica - Taiwan be good to grow in the same area as broomensis and falconeri then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont know about the other species, but I planted sessilifolia seeds on peat/sand/perlite, and they were growing fine, but they just kindda stoped after a while. So I transplanted them to milled LFS, and just after a day or so, they are doing 3 times better than before.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera indica likes it hot too, so this would go well in the same conditions as D. broomensis.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vertigo,

I did a bit of poking around, and actually the D. banksii is more closely related to the Petiolaris Complex, so I assume this annual will appreciate the same hot temps.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys. Looks like they should be happy. The room they're in is at least 80, with an average humidity of 70%, that's outside of a tank on a dry shelf btw. I have a 33w fluorescent that runs hot, so it'll give them that little extra that I know falconeri loves. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]