Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D muscipula, unfortunately, yes, we are for real [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I have no idea why it is like that, but the other Singaporeans have pointed out, it cld be humidity, heat, etc etc... My first one died after I repotted it, tho it did decrease rapidly in size (then showing new gorwth again) in the few mths I had it b4 repotting it.

My current pot is growing, but its leaves are dying young, and flower stalks die before all the flowers open, hence no seeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been giving the Singapore problem some thought. It seems unlikely the problem could be humidity, but I think the issue of a night time drop in temperature might be an issue. How much of a night time drop do you get where you are?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much I think... possibly less than 2-3 degrees C? I'm not too sure but I don't feel it's much different [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Perhaps the other Singapore members would provide better estimates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Tamlin,
    I don't believe night-time drop in temp would be a problem. I have some Capensis growing outdoors year around and they do just fine... better results than indoors in fact. The nighttime temps have been getting down to the low 40's and high 30's F and the day temps to the low 60's.

Last winter, the outdoor temp got down to 18 F several nights in a row, and the capensis roots survived, and came back this spring.

I have also noticed that when I placed a capensis pot (that got in the way inside) outside it kind of goes into a funk and then sprouts back soonthereafter the same as before (The Pheonix Plant). I would suggest giving it some time before giving up on these plants.

-Homer

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the Weatherchannel chart of monthly hi/low averages for Singapore. http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...nthly/SNXX0006
    Looks like there is not a whole lot of a temp drop there at night. So many people grow capensis indoors with great success, do their homes get much below 70? Especially inside of terrariums?

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homer, I believe the problem is just the opposite, it does not get cold enough in Singapore for them to thrive (avg hi of upper 80s and lows of mid 70s year round and LOTS of rainfall)

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Good point steve. Where I live the average low in summer only gets up to around 60 F at best. Most of the time it gets down to the 50's no matter how hot it gets during the day. No wonder D. californica grow so well outside here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I am from Singapore too, my capensis (several forms) have the same problem, all gone.

Temperature and humidity high/low recorded in my set up (in shade) are 90F(32C) @49% , 77F(25C) @85%. While in direct morning sun it can goes up to 97F(36C)@45% I guess the temperature range in Singapore is too high for capensis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123