Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuberous drosera source & humidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter D'Amato at the Spring BACPS meeting was selling some tuberous like ramellosa (spellling wrong?) , peltata, and a small whittakeri before thier summer dormancies. Im going to talk to him again for some new tuberous dews.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, Martin... That was just me being stupid. But yes, you answered my question right. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Don't come into this room too often but the tuberous Drosera title caught my eye.
    I am from Perth in Western Australia which is where many of the tuberous Drosera originate. They were my first CP's and the ones that got me into CP's in the first place.

Yep, I'm afraid I used to collect them directly from the wild but if it's any consolation I grew up in an area where new houses were being built all around us and I collected the Drosera from land that had been cleared for housing. They would have been built over anyway. There are still MANY places like that in Perth and it is easy to collect plants that would otherwise be wasted.

Tuberous Drosera are basically the opposite of your northern Sarracenia. Our summers are VERY hot, sometimes 40C+ and DRY DRY DRY. Winter on the other hand is often sunny but cooler with plenty of rain. Martin's 10-15C is about right. The Drosera go dormant during the hot summer and do all their growing in the winter.

The soil is very sandy, some peat, and very very well drained. None of them will like sitting in water. Cacti grow really well in sand from around Perth if that helps. There is a big dune formation that runs under the entire region and the sand tends to be white and silica based. My house was close to a lake called Gnangarra which almost looked like the ocean as the sand is all so white (and the water's quite salty). I used to see heaps of drosera right up to the shoreline in Winter.

In the same area as the tuberous Drosera you can usually find many others all mixed, rosettes and pygmies as well as Cephalotus, down south.

Allan Lowrie sells all kinds of Drosera tubers and he sends overseas. I don't have his address handy (he is not on the net&#33 but if you want, post again and I'll have a look for it.

Hope this helps, fatboy.

PS Martin I don't know what you do for a living but you should seriously consider professional photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ceph88,

How much did D.'Amato sell the whittakerii for(message me)? I might visit CC at the end of Aug.

Fatboy,

Thanks for the info It's sad to hear that development will stamp out the cps in that area...:-<
    The problem with importing tuberous drosera from Au is that seasons are reversed(winter/spring in Au=Summer in the U.S.). It is extremely difficult to sustain the plants during the hot summers until they adjust their biological clock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the Drosera being stamped out, WA is a BIG place and there is quite a bit of national park land.

It would be like trying to stamp out snow in Alaska.

Cheers, Troy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that Phil Wilson in the UK has been successful in getting Australian tuberous Drosera to change their schedule to match our Winter/Summer seasons. MAybe he could be persuaded to reveal how he did so.

On Allen Lowrie, his address is:
    Allen Lowrie
    6 Glenn Place,
    Duncraig, 6023
    Western Australia

I have been trying to convince him to put his catalogue online but no luck yet, he doen't even want email. But maybe we could find someone to be his US Distributor and solve that problem.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought

I found what is probably Bali's only Drosera on top of a volcano. It is a tuberous Drosera and both Allan Lowrie and Phill Mann are of the opinion that it is probably peltata (but not sure - they both want me to send them pressed specimens).

We don't have winters here but they are seasonal, they die off in the dry season - May to December, and grow in the wet which is the other months. As they are only found up on the top of the volcano, more because of the fact that it is moist rather than the temp, they must like it cooler than the rest of Bali. Probably around 24/ 25C but the same temp all year round.

I can try and collect some seed but you would have to wait until the end of the next wet, about April.

Cheers, Troy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12