Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Hybrid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Wow thats great, I hope they breed true! Don't forget to show the pictures. I'm thinking of breeding VFT (even though it's a nightmare) since they get neglected sometimes. How do you deside what mix your going to try? I know with sundew your dealing with hybreds not er mutts or whatever you call crossing types of VFT's, but same sort of conditions right?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,
    With Drosera species the gene count varies from species to species, and in order to get fertile seed the nucleotides must match. Yo can't cross a palnt with N = 40 with another that has N=13. Fortunately with VFT's, all the forms interbreed and have the same gene sequence, although I doubt that they will breed true. Many can only be reproduced asexually by cloning the plants. It is worth a try though, you might end up with something new and exciting, or just a typical VFT.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Tamlin. Keep us posted on your work. i would love a plant or two of Drosera X Tamlin's Delight! Oh yea, if its not in your way, can you try making a Drosera regia X slackii lol!-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Oct. 07 2002,10:13)
    Darcie,
    With Drosera species the gene count varies from species to species, and in order to get fertile seed the nucleotides must match. Yo can't cross a palnt with N = 40 with another that has N=13. Fortunately with VFT's, all the forms interbreed and have the same gene sequence, although I doubt that they will breed true. Many can only be reproduced asexually by cloning the plants. It is worth a try though, you might end up with something new and exciting, or just a typical VFT.[/QUOTE]
    yes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I am fermilliar with genetics. Do you think your fertile hybred will breed true? As in not pop up with recessive funnies? I'm looking forward to messing with VFT's I know I'll get a bunch of normal ones, but if no one ever bred them the old fation way we wouldn't get new types [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Zach,

No problem, I'd be happy to try the cross. Just send me a couple of mature Drosera regia and I'll get right on it. :-)
    BTW, have your slackii flowered yet?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

LOL, like i have adult regia...mine are only large seedlings [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img], but slackii are about 3 inches tall and have yet to flower. Thanks-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

7. Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12